Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pickup Equipment  (Read 770 times)

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pickup Equipment
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:41:01 pm »

My soldiers are behaving very strangely. I'm trying to get them to train, but whenever I activate them every few seconds one of them will run off with the task "Pickup Equipment". They've got all their equipment, so I have no idea what they're trying to do. I'm assuming this is just a bug. Does anyone know a way to get around it?
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pickup Equipment
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:53:52 pm »

Make sure that they don't have mining, woodcutting or hunting professions enabled. Otherwise just give them a bit of time to get themselves sorted out.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:04:55 pm »

All of them have all their labors disabled, and this has been going on for a while. They're all just running back and forth between the barracks and the equipment stockpile.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:45:48 pm »

look at the uniform assigned to them, and look at how much of that has a green check. look over your stockpiles as well.

how are you activating them? how are you trying to get them to train?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:55:04 pm »

they might just be trying to get a "slightly" better piece than what they have on right now.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:43:21 pm »

They had every part of their uniform, and there weren't any slightly better pieces sitting in the stockpile. They were set to the Active/Training alert and the barracks were set to have them training in that room.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:49:23 pm »

one solution is to keep your smiths working until they churn out ten whole masterwork sets, the low-grade stuff can be melted down.  also, I woudn't swear to it, but I think ordering them to guard the pile will speed things up a little. (of course, I tend to put a weapon/armour stockpile inside the barracks anyways, so the haulers will help with getting the gear to them.)
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 01:29:50 am »

If you're positive they've got all their gear, I'm not sure.  On the other hand, I had issues where I thought my soldiers all had all of their gear and they were doing this.  I'm not sure exactly what was going on inside those little dwarves' minds, but setting their uniform to replace clothing fixed it.  I'm guessing that one or two somehow didn't put something on in the right order, but how that could happen between going off duty one day and being sent to station later I don't know.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 07:49:48 am »

One thing I've found fixes endless pick up equipment is assigning uniforms to replace clothing. This might be suboptimal in terms of protection but it stopped them from running around like madmen the times I've done it.

While this is hardly a rigorously tested theory, I think that if you have uniforms that come close to the limit of what can be worn on a body part it will conflict with their clothing and they'll swap between the uniform and the clothing they have, since the only time I've encountered this bug was when I had both a breastplate and mail shirt assigned, and never when I just went for the lazy breastplate only route.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 08:21:09 am »

Having the military outfit replace clothing is the easiest way to go about this. Add some real clothing besides armor too for that widdle bit of extra protection.

Also, if you're making some new pieces of clothing or armor at the time that are on the list of things your soldiers are meant to wear, some of 'em can run off the moment a new piece is made that is of better quality than what they are wearing at the moment.