Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Could the Soap Maker and Adequate Soaper who arrives have Soap Making enabled?  (Read 965 times)

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego

This would be nice for newbies. They'd really expect him to make soap if they noticed his title or skills. I am going to make a suggestion that the (G)en display for (V)iew dwarves could have a check-mark next to skills they are practicing, and maybe a little red X if they aren't
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego

I mean maybe he had an embarassing soap-making accident and gave it up. I can dig it. The high master cook I just got had cooking enabled, good, and is only a competent fisherdwarf so has that disabled, that still makes more sense than getting someone with one skill which thusly comprises his title and finding him not practicing that one skill. In cases like that I think that skill should be enabled

That's my suggestion. Otherwise you'll have soapers, cheesers, milkers, etc, who only haul. Maybe if their skill is higher than a certain threshold the skill is enabled (that's what this reply suggests) but I've been configuring a bunch of them with the keyboard lately and I'm not sure that's true

My other suggestion is having a little green checkmark or little red X next to each skill in Gen view based on whether or not they're practicing it. Can anyone get behind this

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Immigrants who arrive with a certain skill are supposed to have the appropriate labor enabled. That a number of them does not have the correct labors enabled is a bug that should eventually be fixed.

I'm not sure if checkmarks next to the skill in question is a good idea to note that a particular dwarf doesn't have certain labors enabled in the general view. If filtering by skill in the unit screen (or some other interface improvements related to that) ever becomes possible, having a checkmark there seems more appropriate.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego

I still think it'd be lovely for general view

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego

BTW I'm glad this is a bug, I really thought there was some RP justification like retirement, changes of interest or trade, or a mechanic justification like the extra work with the 'v' menu or dwarf therapist is supposed to be Fun

The subject of this thread is adequately addressed by the classification of the phenomenon as a bug. Isnt it

Sigh

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego

I might make a separate thread for those check marks

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.

Just a tip Flamoot, you can just edit your posts instead of double-posting :P.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile

I added this bug to the worst bug poll (see my signature)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego

Thanks. Voted