Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floods and dams.  (Read 1026 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Floods and dams.
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:34:22 pm »

A while back, I was playing a bugged version of DF where waterfalls didn't work right -- water would pile up at the bottom, causing a huge flood.  I'd usually play in levels with a canyon and a river at the bottom, so the canyon would rapidly flood, reaching the end and pouring out everywhere.  This was a pain, but it actually made for a fun challenge -- could I dam the flood before it hit?

The challenge was fun enough that I'd like to see it worked into the main game somehow, though obviously the player would need some warning.  Floods have been mentioned as ideas before, I know (there was a sort-of flood in the 2D version), but I think it's worth mentioning how interesting the challenge of rush-building a dam can be.

Additionally, and this is what had me thinking back to it now (and why I posted it even though I know the first part's come up before):  There could be dams in worldgen, similar to the new bridges.  They'd make for interesting structures, and could eventually be used in adventures and plots (eg. 'the evil warlord X wants to destroy this dam, flooding the lowlands!'  Etc, etc.  Failure -- or it happening elsewhere, as a random event, or the dam failing from natural causes -- could be an interesting event that would affect many nearby things, including possibly player fortresses in Dwarf Mode.  Or the player could smash the dam themselves...)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floods and dams.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 11:39:32 pm »

First.

That sounds like a good idea id like to flood some villiage i dont like,and it would ad some variaty to the adv quests.

The warning would be dam owner civ citizen running by your fort yelling ruuuuuuun the magma dam just melted.[ice sounded better last night in the pub renewable recourse an all]
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:52:28 pm »

Sounds good, only concern i have is the FPS hit.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:55:23 pm »

Ive never realy had trouble with fps never had more than 80 dorfs though but I do have a waterfall machiene so water is just a flowin off the map all the time.Never damed a river.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:51:57 am »

could be fun. I do like some stray animals, or a crazed dwarf running down the river being the warning. Or, if the civ at the dam was abandoned, it could just happen, or say "The dwarves hear a great thunderous noise in the distance"
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 10:39:39 am »

could be fun. I do like some stray animals, or a crazed dwarf running down the river being the warning. Or, if the civ at the dam was abandoned, it could just happen, or say "The dwarves hear a great thunderous noise in the distance"
You now this thread is 20 days old, right.

Zoomulator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 12:24:48 pm »

You now this thread is 20 days old, right.
So what? Can't see why 20 days matter.

Damming would be awesome, but I'm not sure how well it'd work with the current water mechanics. Might though.
I'd like to see floodgates that span two z-levels for this. You build it at the upper level above the water and when you close it it sinks one level so that it can close off running water.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 05:58:05 pm »

Bumping's alright on the B12 forums, as long as you post something relevent to the thread and not just bumping it for the hell of it. Better to bump 1 thread than to make 3 threads over time.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 06:11:08 pm »

Didn't see this, originally, so the bumping's brought it into my view in order for me to say...

When Arena Mode was new, I used to cast obsidian plugs to the watercourse running through it and even set some higher-still water-sources in, in the definition file, and walls all around, and watch (and play around within it) as it flooded most[1] of the underground, and ever overflow onto the magma area.

Good for setting aquatic and amphibious enemies against each other, obviously.

(BTW, I recall a "rising tide" scenario being discussed before, and FPS was the main concern then, as well... :)  I also very nearly set up a system with layers or raised bridges at the border and a water-pump system to bring raise copious aquifer water well above ground level, against the flood of which I'd then have been trying to compete.  But obviously that's a lot of effort to set up, prior to the fun and games I would then have had...)

[1] Frustrated by evaporation-negated advances in water, I might also help the water fill up bits of the catacombs.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 06:50:43 pm »

well theirs already situations in games were magma pump stacks have been left on after abandoning and flooded the world in a sea of magma, so i dont see why damns would be such a problem. just have a count down display or such of about a ingame day or two.

Make it a wall of water that calculates all the items it can move, their path and were theyll be moved to -and if off map, destroys them- if its coming from an off site source and is calculated to be large enought. That way the game only processes what gets detroyed/moved once and dosent slow it down with thousands of iterations and just needs to calculate living creatures when they get hit by the water or when things move, cutting things down alot.

After that you just make a general blanket water thing with no dicernable depth that leaves 1/7 water behind after the waves gone by and dissapaited. Could calculate living things push depending on size, smaller that critical size = swept away, Giants etc could have the ability to walk in the current if their large enought, or only get pushed along at a set rate wile still being able to try move in a direction.

As for the 2 z level dam part: probably will be implamented along with the moving fortress parts toady plans on doing.

I would wait untill hes done all his new water revamps first before making any dam plans though :)
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!