Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different uniform assignments for alert states  (Read 472 times)

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Different uniform assignments for alert states
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:34:00 pm »

I'd like to set up my military so that there are two alert states. A training one and a combat one. The training one would have a uniform with training short swords, while the combat one would have actual short swords. Is there any way I can do this so that the alert state determines which uniform they use?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Different uniform assignments for alert states
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:53:22 pm »

To put it short; no.

However this isn't that big of a deal since even if dwarves are using actual short swords they will never actually hurt anyone during sparring. Currently all that training weapons are good for is making danger rooms and allowing your dwarves to train on live goblins without killing them extremely quickly.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 12:03:02 am »

While i2amroy is right, one method I can think of is to have the two uniforms configured, set the squad to use the "training" uniform, then when you trigger the alert open the military screen, hit [e] for equipment, U to set a specific uniform and change each position in the squad to the armed version.  Once the alert has ended switch them back.

While I have my troops spar with live weapons, I initially set up a training uniform (no armor, wood training weapon, shield) and had them use that until I got metal for weapons.  I then used the above method to update their settings on the fly and they all took off from the barracks to drop of the training weapon and pick up their new gear.

[edit] to fix the under line garbage ... :(
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:10:10 am by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:12:49 am »

To put it short; no.

However this isn't that big of a deal since even if dwarves are using actual short swords they will never actually hurt anyone during sparring. Currently all that training weapons are good for is making danger rooms and allowing your dwarves to train on live goblins without killing them extremely quickly.
Training weapons are good for early forts. You can train spear dwarfs even if you have no spears and no metal. all you need is wood. you don't really need a military until the gobs come. By that time you will have had several caravans to get metal, but not enough time to train a military. Training weapons allow you to have a fighting chance. Once you have access to metal then, ya, training weapons are pretty useless.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:49:20 pm »

Until equipping weapons and armor gets less erratic and slow, this would be good. Otherwise, your dwarves will get slaughtered before your military finishes suiting up for combat.