Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I Can't Shake This Leg  (Read 954 times)

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
I Can't Shake This Leg
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:01:05 am »

I'm trying to get rid of a rotten left lower leg, and it's not happening.

• the leg isn't forbidden
  • burrows aren't in use
    • hauling is enabled
    • there's an active dump

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This leg is in a very popular statue garden, and even though there are other places to hang out, several dwarfs are just unhappily standing in the miasma.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Can't Shake This Leg
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:24:21 am »

Do you have a refuse pile available?

I've had problems getting rid of body parts.  Seems some dwarves refuse to think of them as trash.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:15:04 am »

It is outside. Enable gathering refuse from outside (orders menu, refuse)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 03:19:44 am »

It's inside, and I'm trying to dump it onto a quantum pile for atom smashing. It's now a bone leg, so at least it isn't spewing miasma. I'm still stumped on why it can't be moved though. Are you unable to put dwarf parts on garbage dumps?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:21:13 am »

Is it a dwarf leg? Maybe you need more coffins?
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:38:46 pm »

If the leg belonged to a dwarf who is still alive, then it'll be hauled to a Corpses stockpile and should remain there until its owner dies, at which point it will be buried.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:42:02 pm »

Oftentimes, it seems as though when a body part gets to the "rotten" stage, it turns red in my stocks screen, as though it wasn't owned by my fort, just the same as items from the caravans or unkilled invaders do. Once they rot all the way to skeletons and bones, they become mine again, but when they're red, my dwarves won't touch them. Perhaps that's the problem? This wouldn't explain why it still can't be moved even though it's bone now, but that might have something to do with it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 03:20:15 pm »

Yeah, that leg is just gonna be there. I have a corpse stock pile, my "o" menu allows me to claim friendlies and their death objects, the leg isn't forbidden, and there open coffins available to citizens. The leg isn't presented with red text, and the owner is dead.

I must be missing something, but that's half the fun anyways.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 03:21:06 pm »

Oftentimes, it seems as though when a body part gets to the "rotten" stage, it turns red in my stocks screen, as though it wasn't owned by my fort, just the same as items from the caravans or unkilled invaders do. Once they rot all the way to skeletons and bones, they become mine again, but when they're red, my dwarves won't touch them. Perhaps that's the problem? This wouldn't explain why it still can't be moved even though it's bone now, but that might have something to do with it.

All rotten items show in Red in the stocks screen to indicate that they cannot be used for any tasks.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 11:55:32 am »

Just tell the dorfs it's "art". They should be silly enough to believe it! :P

I've had some luck using "autodump" (which comes with the lazy newb pack) to remove stuck items. Technically, it's cheating; but I figure using a cheat to fix a bug kind of cancels itself out.

I guess you could also build a bridge and atom-smash it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 12:20:43 pm »

Yeah, that leg is just gonna be there. I have a corpse stock pile, my "o" menu allows me to claim friendlies and their death objects, the leg isn't forbidden, and there open coffins available to citizens. The leg isn't presented with red text, and the owner is dead.

I read somewhere that only 6 pieces of a dwarf fit in a coffin.(Can't verify though). How did the dwarf die?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »

I read somewhere that only 6 pieces of a dwarf fit in a coffin.(Can't verify though). How did the dwarf die?
AFAIK untrue.