Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fairly noobish, would love some help with a few questions!  (Read 1121 times)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fairly noobish, would love some help with a few questions!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 07:14:47 pm »

I haven't even tried butchering or cages yet, anyone care to explain how I can get it to work? XD

I mean, how do you get the animals to get to a place, then well i see you can tell animals they are ready to slaughter, but after that then what?
For wild animals, you can either make choke points by building walls to funnel them through the narrow area where you have cage traps, or just place cage traps randomly over the entire outside (the former method is vastly more efficient). When a creature triggers a cage trap, it is then stuck in a cage, and will be hauled to any animal stockpiles you have. Once in a cage (and preferably hauled to a stockpile), you need a kennel to run the "tame large animal" task, which causes a dwarf with the Animal Training labor to come by with a piece of food (meat or plant, doesn't matter which), go to the cage, and cause the animal to become tame. You can then release them from the cage reasonably safely.

If you have a butcher's workshop and an animal marked for slaughter, by default the workshop will automatically queue a slaughter animal task, and a butcher who takes the job will walk to a properly-marked animal, drag it to the workshop, and instantly cause it to explode into its component parts. In short, butchering tame animals is basically just as simple as having a butcher's shop and butcher and then marking an animal for slaughter.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 07:29:32 pm »

Thank you for the response! I will try it X)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 03:37:58 am »

(v)iew animal, (p)references, (s)laughter

some animals can not be tamed. If you have marksdwarfs in your militia, you can release such animals in a walled off area/secure room, best closed off with a drawbridge. If you have carved the walls into fortifications, your marksdwarfs can shoot through it and will happily train their skills on the animal. On the other hand, you may want to make some weapon traps in a small room and kill the animal using those.

The corpse will likely be taken to your refuse stockpile (most likely outside), and if you have (o)rders, (r)efuse, dwarfs gather refuse from (o)utside on, your butcher will automatically come and pick up the corpse

to release captured animals without taming so they wont be a danger to you:
(b), (j) to build a cage, press x to see all cages seperately and find the one you wanted
(b)uild, (T)raps, (l)ever - somewhere outside the place you built the cage in
(q), to the lever, (a)dd task, (j) link to cage, find the cage and select mechanisms
Now when you pull the lever, the cage will become dislodged (not build anymore) and the animal (or whatever) inside is now out of the cage

somewhere else i wrote more on cage traps and walls, i'll repeat my strategy again here:
wild animals tend to stay near the edges of the map for much of the time. Only rarely do they cross the map through the center, mainly because your dwarfs are there.
If you can use water pools to help you, fine, saves some materials, otherwise, you'll need to build a few long walls. Any creature finding your wall will try to detour around it or has to go through a choke point. Since you cant build too close to the edge, its smart to make a cage trap or two at that end of the wall: anything trying to move around the wall at that end will get caught. Do the same at the other end, and somewhere halfway. It looks something like this:

C = cage trap
X = wall

CCXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXCCXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXCC

Just putting a set-up like this in each direction (north, south, east, west) at the map edge will capture very, very many creatures. Last time i tried this i was having problems with my storage because of the insane amounts of Giraffes, Rhinos and Elepants captured. My butchers were working overtime
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2]