Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Rock carving options Inlays and Separate designations for Art and History  (Read 652 times)

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More Rock carving options

Inlays

The ability to fill Engravings on walls with metals, bone , wood and other types of rock.

Separate designations for Art and historical carvings

What history They engrave would still be random, so would the Art related stuff, but at least you would know your going to get images of the forts history in the main hall where you wanted it and not images of Squares.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

Although I can see the Inlays taking separate skills from Engraving, like Metal crafting and such, it seems like a very nice way to apply special additions to Dwarven Artwork.
I like.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Drapestar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

addtion to inlays could be encrusting jewels into the engravings as well?
1) kill parents
2) rename batman
3) if the child survives until maturity, make him a militia captain

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the ability to carve stone blocks to build engraved walls

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile

I like your idea. I was always pissed when they put random pictures in cool places

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A second both of these, I always want history recorded in a certain plaice (a wall, a tower, by the tombs, etc)

Starne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Two great ideas.

For the inlays bit, I'd suggest that making the inlays be tied to whatever skill one would associate with the material: Carpenters do wooden inlays, Masons do stone, ect.

A hypothetical inlay system could also be tied to a system for reinforcing walls, for when the goblins start bringing siege equipment, and when structural integrity becomes a factor again. (This is a smooth granite wall, masterfully reinforced with *steel struts*.)

On the separate designations for decorative/historical engravings, I'd also be interesting to have the option to be specific with what we want engraved. Military history on one wall, political on another, culture on another, ect. On the decorative front, this could be used to keep angsty engravers from carving their worst nightmares into the walls of the fortress. Of course, if you don't specify, the dwarf will just engrave whatever.