Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarfy Movies  (Read 2493 times)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfy Movies
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 09:47:44 pm »

The Matrix.

A "higher" intelligence enslaves an entire race without them realizing it, and they're used for nothing more than to keep the world running. Sounds like an awesome megaproject, to me.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 09:50:44 pm »

Pandorum, easily.

Hordes of Elves hunting down and eating anyone they find.

People going stark raving mad.

Badass warriors who have survived so long, fighting with cannibalised steel who don't really care about anything anymore.

Flooding.

Loyalty Cascade.

Ftfy, and you forgot the epic world reclaim.

The Matrix.

A "higher" intelligence enslaves an entire race without them realizing it, and they're used for nothing more than to keep the world running. Sounds like an awesome megaproject, to me.

We've been waiting for you, Mr Urist.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 10:10:03 pm »

Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 05:50:21 pm »

Army of Darkness.
I perfectly see dwarves in this movies!
I mean... Well, replace everything with zombies hoary-marmot and dwarves and all this and you got Dwarven Army of Darkness...
Hmm...Sounds good... Dwarven army of darkness... I got my new group title! :P
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 10:30:12 pm »

Ah, The Thing! My favorite movie (not the new one! D:). I too nominate it for maximum dwarfiness, if only for this scene. (Link goes to youtuberepeat.com because regular youtube censored the damn thing. This skips the necessary sign-in... although be warned, this is quite gruesome.)

Flamethrowers, beards, shapeshifting forgotten beasts, arm-swallowing chest cavities, self-amputating mutant !!alien spider heads!! which are capable of screaming without being attached to a pair of lungs... The very pinnacle of human achievement, whereupon man had but glimpsed the incredible glory of dwarfhood.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 10:48:27 pm »

Ah, The Thing! My favorite movie (not the new one! D:). I too nominate it for maximum dwarfiness, if only for this scene.
My favorite video to link to give people nightmares. I am in agreement about this movie. What better way for a fort to crumble?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 10:51:10 pm »

Snow White

... What?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 10:54:47 pm »

Shaun of the Dead.

Beating the crap out of undead in an evil biome just to get to the local pub? Now that's dorfy.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 11:15:44 pm »

Gran Torino.

Last Dwarf loses his wife, becomes miserable, never falling into melancholy.
Sons visit from another Fortress, but never help and want him to migrate.
Surrounded by inferiors (read: kobolds), and is incredibly racist to them.
Meets a "normal" person (read: a dwarfy kobold), and then interacts with community.
Defends fort by himself.
Has an Artefact wagon.
Dies like a boss on his own terms, gives his family the finger, leaves his Artefact wagon to the kobolds.
And finally, crotchety 60-somethings kicking everyone's shit.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 01:56:10 am »

Avatar. While the quality of the movie is debatable, it's a lot more enjoyable if you think about it as Dwarf Fortress in spess.

!Soace Dorfs sees treehugging space elves have cotton candy under their land.

!Space Dorfs travel four light years to embark on treehugger land.

!Dorfs kill all the elves with MAGMA (actually fire, but close enough) and burn their precious trees down, all while lol'ing at the elves' horrifically ineffective wooden weapons.

!Dorfs lol, and start mining the candy.

!Space elves try to take their land back, and are massacared by !space dorf

!Space dorfs are attacked by killer spess elephants and flying !space carp.

!Space dorfs have FUN.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 05:31:11 am »

I don't know how many of you have seen Metropolis, it was a classic back when classics were born. A silent movie. Anyway...

In a big industrious dwarf fortress, a peasant woman walks into the nobles' statue garden with some children. The woman and children are shooed away but the prince falls in love with the woman. The prince follows the woman back down into the magma forges and witnesses an unfortunate accident that results in the lives of many furnace operators. Prince confronts his father in a massive tower about working conditions.

The rest would be spoilers, but basically, shit goes down, a bronze colossus dances around and makes everyone confused, resulting in a loyalty cascade.

Apart from that, the whole setting uncannily resembles a dwarf fortress (albiet post-industrial revolution).
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 12:55:41 pm »

The french TV show Kaamelott, wich is a parody of the legend of Arthur and all that.
The first 4 seasons were ok, but i didnt rly like the fifth and final season. (final one happen in Rome, and the fifth one is too serious...)
Well, actually, the Knight's of the round table (sounds better in french xD) are exactly like dorfs; Perceval is a pure moron, tought funny as hell (like someone gave him the cross's nails with the saint-suaire (cant remember the name in english, but its basically the rag used to sponge jesus (lol?)(sorry, my english's terrible xD)), but he threw em in a river because he ought thoses were just some rusty nails with a old guy's face in a rag , sound sdorfish enough, heh?
Then there's arthur's father-in-law, wich is the king of Caledoni (dunno if its the name in english) wich is kinda saddic with his people (dorfish enough too). There's Karadoc who keep eating all day long (11 meal in day) and stay at the inn most of time with perceval.
There's Merlin, the really really dwarfy druid, as he fail almost everything and is the worst enchanter of all Albion (great-britain at this time, Pictish called the place Albion).
Kaamelott's army (they call camelot "kaamelott") are true inconpetent (*cough*dorf*cough*).

There's lot of detail, but its just to say in general its very dwarvish!
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.
Pages: 1 [2]