Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why doesn't the siege end?  (Read 685 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why doesn't the siege end?
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:47:22 pm »

OK, so...

This is the same fortress where I recently had way too many cats, so it's actually pretty big, but has a low population. There are now five cats, four caged. There are twenty dwarfs, less than half of which were the only survivors of the tantrum spiral after I killed just the wrong cat. You know how it goes.

Anyway, thanks to the low population and lack of military skills I decided to just close the bridges and ignore sieges--no traps, no fighting, no experimenting with siege weaponry. So far, works fine. The goblins (it's always goblins so far, plus trolls) tend to leave after a while once my fortress proves too boring for them.

In the last siege, one unlucky goblin drowned when the river thawed under him. The rest left, as per usual. I can't see them on the units screen. The drowned goblin shows up as "deceased". On the units screen there are my dwarfs, livestock, some random monsters I presume are in the caverns, and some wildlife--turkeys, mostly. I scrolled across all the levels of the outdoors and I can't see any invaders.

I have no idea why this siege isn't ending. Are the goblins out there and hiding so I can't see them on the units screen? Can they hide in the trees? I do have lots of trees out there (taunting me, because I can't get to the wood safely, dammit!). What's going on here, and how do I get the siege to stop so I can start getting migrants and caravans again?

Oh, if it matters: I did divert that river to run underground, so I could use it to power stuff safely. The river source is aboveground, but then it flows through some bars and down into the channel I dug for it. Maybe that's relevant? I don't think there should be access to the fortress through the river though because the gap where it enters the fortress is full of bars...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:49:56 pm by Callista »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Why doesn't the siege end?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:50:54 pm »

My guess is that you currently have a hidden squad of ambushers out there. One potential solution would be to just toss some livestock outside as goblin bait and wait to see what happens. I also believe that given a long enough period of time they will finally leave.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:38:42 pm »

The sacrificial lamb (literally) got killed by a wild turkey... somehow.

Still no goblins. Been a year.  ???

ETA--Okay, now there's another siege on top of this one. Maybe when this one ends they'll all leave together, or something.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:22:29 am by Callista »

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 01:36:17 pm »

Double post to update:

It's been two years now and we are still under constant siege status. Every once in a while, a "vile force of darkness" will arrive, hang around, and leave--but the siege status never vanishes.

I'm starting to think this is a bug of some sort. Does anybody know whether having a stuck "siege" status is something that's known to happen?

This is frustrating! Unless I get some more migrants, I'll never have enough of a military to fight off the sieges; but unless the sieges leave, I'll never get any migrants, and I'll get ambushed the moment I step out to try to set up some traps.

EDIT: OK, I figured it out; it is a bug. It turns out there was a dead goblin listed as "active invader". I used Runesmith to switch off his "dead" and "incoming" status and re-killed him. I bet it was that sneaky little fellow who drowned in the river, too.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:38:18 pm by Callista »