Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I just want to be left alone, damned!  (Read 1324 times)

TheLazyPool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I just want to be left alone, damned!
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:03:18 am »

Is it possible to play without any immigration? I've read somewhere that the first two waves can not be avoided, is that right? Oh and is it possible to embark with less than 7 dwarves?

What i want to do is play a "some friends stranded somewhere far from any civilization" challenge with a group of only four or so.

I tried this by setting [POPULATION_CAP:7] in 'data/init/d_init.txt' but the first immigration waves still arrived.  The game unfortunately didn't last long though, because the three dwarves that i had "taken care of" did suddenly rise as ghosts, surprising one of the protagonists in his sleep and smashing him to the wall so hard that one of his legs fell off (first time i got ghosts, so i did't know about building proper memorials).  He started recovering, but then the first immigration wave, that had gotten "drawbridged" sooner, directly after arrival (some time before the ghost-incident), suddenly started rising one after the other and i didn't see a point in continuing when in addition, shortly after this, the second wave arrived...

I can live with going a bit out of character at the beginning to "adjust" the number of dwarves, but i don't want to keep building memorials all the time, with that few dwarves there are enough jobs that need to be taken care of anyway.  So any advice how i could do this with minimum distractions? Also, a bonus would be if the solution wouldn't prevent babies as the CAP setting does...

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Re: I just want to be left alone, damned!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 06:08:41 am »

You could always go get Runesmith*, and completely erase any trace that the interlopers ever existed in the first place. Doing this will not anger any ghosts, because something that doesn't exist can't be dead.

(*Link, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:10:51 am by PCpaste »
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

TheLazyPool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:10:36 am »

That looks like it's just the tool for this.  I've just started a new game to try it, but so far i have only found the option to kill a complete race, and no way to erase a specific dwarf. Am i missing something?

EDIT: I tried simply setting the "dead" flag, but that doesn't really remove them (listed in 'u' as deceased, so in a way they still exist).  Is this sufficient anyway, or do i need more to keep them from rising as ghosts?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:37:54 am by TheLazyPool »

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:48:32 am »

I'm pretty sure dead is dead, and dead people want to be honored.

But, as I said, something that doesn't exist can't be dead.

You click on the dwarf you want to erase in the Runesmith window, then you go to the flags tab on the right, scroll to the bottom, and toggle delete. Commit the changes, unpause, and poof. They are gone.

I'm fairly certain it works for dead dwarves, too, if you've been doing it your way for a while.

EDIT: I don't know if vanish means the same as delete as far as Runesmith is concerned, but I use delete.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:51:25 am by PCpaste »
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

TheLazyPool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:27:34 am »

Oh, i must have missed those flags at the bottom earlier...
I wasn't sure which one to pick, so i just went with "Delete Creature (Cleanup)" (also untoggling "Dead" again, not sure if necessary, plus i also untoggled both "Important Historical Figure" flags) and it worked fine; After unpausing, the dwarves are really completely gone, after a refresh in Runesmith even there, so it seems this step is final and can not be undone (not that i would want to, just mentioning for reference).

Thanks for your help!