Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miners in the military?  (Read 1384 times)

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miners in the military?
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:31:13 pm »

Hi folks,

as we all know it's possible to use a miner's pick as a weapon. Although a pick isn't a really efficient weapon, it gains a damage bonus from the wielder's mining skill. As my miners are usually the first dwarfs to become legendary, I'm asking myself if having a squad of legendary miners would make sense. Does the miner's skill level compensate for the weapon's lack of damage?

Also, Happy New Years Eve to all of you.

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miners in the military?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:45:12 pm »

i can be quite effective yes, if you have good picks. But good miners are usually a scarcity and you would want them alive

And happy new year to you, and the forum :)
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:47:14 pm »

Picks are actually pretty good weapons, ripping deep into flesh and organs and easily removing hands and feet. Maybe even a leg or arm if you're lucky.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:50:58 pm »

Legendary miners will wipe the floor with pretty much anyone who gets in their way. I had one emergency-drafted into the miltia and he single-handedly ended a siege after killing 4 goblins and their leader (but not without dying himself, because miners can't dodge for jack).
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:53:39 pm »

Heheh... meat miners..  :P

Gives a new meaning to "Meat Shield".  :P

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:57:01 pm »

Just be very careful to never have a dwarf be both in the military and have the 'mining' job enabled at the same time.  Miners (and hunters, and woodcutters) have a hidden uniform setting which causes them to carry the tool they need for their job.  This conflicts with the military uniform.  If a dwarf is in the military and has mining (or woodcutting, or hunting) labor enabled, then every time the dwarf goes on or off duty he will drop everything he's wearing or carrying and then go to pick up the gear for the new job.  If you have the dwarf set to carry food while on duty, this will result in unusable claimed food items lying around everywhere rotting.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 01:12:04 pm »

Just be very careful to never have a dwarf be both in the military and have the 'mining' job enabled at the same time.  Miners (and hunters, and woodcutters) have a hidden uniform setting which causes them to carry the tool they need for their job.  This conflicts with the military uniform.  If a dwarf is in the military and has mining (or woodcutting, or hunting) labor enabled, then every time the dwarf goes on or off duty he will drop everything he's wearing or carrying and then go to pick up the gear for the new job.  If you have the dwarf set to carry food while on duty, this will result in unusable claimed food items lying around everywhere rotting.

There's a work around where you just select under specific weapon, the weapon the Dorf uses to labour.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:24:41 pm »

There was a thread elsewhere in this section - not within the first 45 pages, though, I checked - on how to get miners and woodcutters to function both in the military and in civilian life. It seems to me one of the keys was to disable the skill in question, specifically assign a pick or axe as appropriate, and then re-enable the skill after they had the item in hand.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 02:28:01 pm »

I've never had an issue with getting drafted miners to use use picks personally. I just make sure I have enough picks for them to have one for mining and one as a weapon and they are perfectly happy to run around severing arms and legs with their little point death sticks.  ;D

It's been said elsewhere already, but picks really are blue lightsaber to the goblin's red (whip) one.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:33:05 pm »

I always shuffle my first miners into the military after a few years. Its basicly stat-raising bootcamp for them, and afterwords they often adorn themselves with the same metal they mined out themselves.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 05:03:56 pm »

I've been playing around with (further) weaponizing miners. One thing I've been doing is embarking them as dodgers rather than miners (this is only really practical on embarks with soil/clay layers). Another thing I've started playing around with, is when my miner goes On Break, I recruit him, arm him with a training sword and shield, and have him beat on crundles or creeping eyes or whatever happens to be skulking around. This quickly builds fighter skill to go with the pick skill. By the time his "break" (heheh hahah) is over he can be at least a proficient fighter.

I like to think that my legendary miners will have a bit of an edge in combat, besides their rather impressive ability to parry and disarm.