Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using Military as Hunters... help!  (Read 997 times)

Rune_Wolf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Using Military as Hunters... help!
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:37:35 pm »

With the help of the wiki, i was able to get a single-squad axedwarf wielding the copper weapon and armor i brought with me. Tried to chase down a rabbit, but it was too fast, so i cancel orders before the guy is lured into a pack of badgers or worse. The squad is disbanded? ...and he drops the weapon and armor. :p

Restart said 1-dwarf military, he won't put the stuff back on. Turn his hauling back on, declare the wagon a weapons stockpile... he starts to head back without the gear.

Now I'm just stumped. How do I get the axe and armor back to camp, or better yet, the guy to put them back on?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Using Military as Hunters... help!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:57:27 pm »

Never place an active Miner, Wood Cutter, or Hunter into a military squad - those 3 labors come with their own special uniforms which conflict with military uniform assignments.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 11:24:46 pm »

Never place an active Miner, Wood Cutter, or Hunter into a military squad - those 3 labors come with their own special uniforms which conflict with military uniform assignments.
I heard if you assign a specific locally-produced (not imported) crossbow/axe/pickaxe to a hunter/woodcutter/miner in the military, the conflict won't happen (the wiki says that with miners, you can do it with no weapon designated). Is this not the case anymore?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Rune_Wolf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:35:17 am »

hmmm... he had hunting turned on, but wasn't actively doing it as far as i know.

i still don't know why cancellng the attack order disbanded the entire "squad" (where did i go wrong?) and i need to know how to get the dwarves to put stray tools back in storage (in this case, the discarded weapon and armor)

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:15:41 am »

hmmm... he had hunting turned on, but wasn't actively doing it as far as i know.

i still don't know why cancellng the attack order disbanded the entire "squad" (where did i go wrong?) and i need to know how to get the dwarves to put stray tools back in storage (in this case, the discarded weapon and armor)
it doesn't matter if he's doing actively, they'll want to have one uniform.  I'm not sure why cancelling an attack order would disband a squad, either, can you give us more specific details of what buttons you pressed and when?
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 04:23:18 pm »

did the squad really disband or did you get the message "Urist McAxe is no longer an axedwarf, Urist mcaxe has become a hunter"

he just switched jobs if that is the case
 and in his new job some equipment didnt fit
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Rune_Wolf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 12:49:15 am »

did the squad really disband or did you get the message "Urist McAxe is no longer an axedwarf, Urist mcaxe has become a hunter"

he just switched jobs if that is the case
 and in his new job some equipment didnt fit

Yes it did exactly that, (her skillset had her declared a "peasant") but as she was militia commander of her own 1-dwarf militia, I guess it disbanded said entire 1-dwarf militia to make it happen, and suddenly she was no longer commander and "was upset from being relieved of duty" added to her bio. At that moment, she dropped her "uniform": the axe and armor I brought with me. It's still up there on the mountain close to the opposite edge of the map and I'm not sure how to retrieve it. (Probably made her the laughingstock of the village: chase a rabbit, lose your weapon and armor).

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 04:31:01 am »

It's a good idea to disable those 3 labors on any dwarf you want on military duty.
I'd even say it's a good idea to disable hunting altogether, I've yet to see a dwarf not fail miserably when seeking out combat by himsels, military commands are far more trustworthy imo.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 02:17:51 pm »

Perhaps while canceling the order, you accidentally pressed s->d? That would disband it.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 03:10:36 pm »

As for putting weapons and armor away, do you have weapon and armor stockpiles?