Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Above ground fortress and world gen  (Read 599 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Above ground fortress and world gen
« on: December 03, 2011, 02:32:01 pm »

I'm planning to do my first completely above ground fort (yay for me!) but I'm a bit paranoid with lag  and my computer isn't THE computer. So I'm planning to creat a advanced world gene with only 5-10 Z-levels but I'm afraid that I won't be able to trade any metal with any civilization, is that correct?(I'm planning to use a bigger embark too, 5x5 or bigger, that's why I'm afraid of lag)
Any of you ever tried to do something similar?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Above ground fortress and world gen
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 02:39:55 pm »

I've found flat rectangular areas less laggy.  Like 3x8.  Dunno, why that is.  And biomes that don't freeze.  For some reason even when the leaves change, the lag spikes on my machine.  But its hard to go without wood.  Don't skimp on down zones, you'll want flux rocks, lots to build with. 

Remove the three caverns, so you hit magma sooner, I suppose.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 02:51:51 pm »

a lot of the lag is created by caverns on bigger embarks, the need to track creatures there, including FB and tree growth. Each thing or creature blinking on a slope will slow your fps by a tiny bit. The more slopes, the more lag

is my guess at least
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 04:04:41 pm »

But I'll receive any metal from the caravans on a "Shallow" world?

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 04:11:01 pm »

I was under the impression that the cavern activity was only tracked once you breached the z level

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 04:45:21 pm »

No, sometimes you can have cave ins uppon embarking, extreme lag caused by weird pipe placement, circus and this kind of stuff.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 03:55:43 am »

Leave at least 1 cavern layer, otherwise your civilisation won't have access to Plump Helmets and other underground farming goodies.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 04:30:08 am »

Ok, ok I'll ask again, my caravan will bring metal bars/items with them if the world is shallow and only with 1 cavern layer?

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 05:22:09 am »

There are plenty of ores above ground, especially common being iron ores. Might be missing some of the deeper layers stuff.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 08:18:43 am »

Weird just generated a very large world with 229 year of history and embar kon a 5x5 shrubland , 13 dwarfs shitload of pigs and sheep sweetbread (THEY ARE FUCKING FREE IN THE EMBARK SCREEN!) and I'm runing at 100 fps and the embark also has a major river (5 tiles).

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 03:57:12 pm »

Whats the status on availability of metals in trade? Also how did you go about getting rid of the lower z levels/circus in advanced gen?