Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfane Goblin Trap?  (Read 602 times)

Rayeneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfane Goblin Trap?
« on: December 03, 2011, 08:01:53 am »

Trying to create a humane goblin trap, one that collects them rather than killing or caging. I have considered using a baited retracting bridge trap, but can't figure out a way to concentrate the bulk of them before springing it.  I am hoping to collect hundreds of goblins and their cohorts for a final battle of sorts.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dwarfane Goblin Trap?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 10:39:00 am »

Cage traps + Levers to release them is the simplest way, otherwise you could just try simple box in traps with raisable bridges, and herd them into a bait room, but this requires more time and experience to build.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 01:52:28 pm »

Just dig a large area and chain a tame animal in the middle, the entrance to this are must be very small(1-2 tiles) when the gobbos arrive they'll go into the chamber to attack the animal then you just need to close the entrace with drawbridges or hatches.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 02:35:09 pm »

They don't have to be in perfect health do they?  I've never done this, its only a theory.  *shrug*  Would this work?

Flush trap them all into a tiny room to avoid the lag they will all create.  Automate your flush trap, by using PP triggers, pumps and waterwheels.  Traffic it Restricted.  Make it your only 'always open' entrance.  When a Siege arrives, lock up and burrow the dwarfs.  The baddies will trickle in, trickle off, and neatly mingle about until released. 

Requires floor bars, a stream or brook, and a lot of patience.

Sincerely,
Knutor

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 02:49:11 pm »

I have considered using a baited retracting bridge trap, but can't figure out a way to concentrate the bulk of them before springing it.
Have two bridge traps. The first repeats constantly and drops them one level into a pit with a path up to where they started, and the second drops them somewhere they can't get out of. The first trap cycles the forces until they're all in the same area, and the second is used to harvest the resulting goblin swarm.

For sieges you'd need to kill or cage enough enemies to break the siege unless you're willing to get caravans far less frequently than otherwise. For ambushes, you need some sort of detection system so that you know when to trap all the concentrated goblins. An animal with a window in front of it can detect ambushes, and the window can be protected from building destroyers by a fortification.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 02:56:46 pm »

I have considered using a baited retracting bridge trap, but can't figure out a way to concentrate the bulk of them before springing it.
Have two bridge traps. The first repeats constantly and drops them one level into a pit with a path up to where they started, and the second drops them somewhere they can't get out of. The first trap cycles the forces until they're all in the same area, and the second is used to harvest the resulting goblin swarm.

For sieges you'd need to kill or cage enough enemies to break the siege unless you're willing to get caravans far less frequently than otherwise. For ambushes, you need some sort of detection system so that you know when to trap all the concentrated goblins. An animal with a window in front of it can detect ambushes, and the window can be protected from building destroyers by a fortification.

All very important advice. especially the second paragraph. Perma-sieges can drive you crazy and can stop you getting more sieges. As a suggestion for simplicity, may I suggest a 1x10 baited walkway covered in wooden training spear traps with a one Z drop to a room full of cages? Should be quite simple to set up (don't forget an L bend to protect your bait so you're not always rechaining animals) and deal with the perma-siege issue.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 04:03:28 pm »

You will need to cage them if you want receive any caravans/lye makers.

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Rayeneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 12:34:50 am »

Thanks for all the information! I was hoping to have a perma-siege situation, I wanted to collect every last one of them (I went with a weapon trap setup like the suggested one). Next time I think i'll try the flushing system, I figure I can get one to recycle the water so I don't need the lag of a river. I am hoping to avoid caging them, because I want to have a massive war at the end and uncaging them all would take too large of a space I think.

Also, not to switch topics, but is there a way to piss off the goblins? Ive only seen a single snatcher after 4 years.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 01:49:02 am »

One thing about collecting the goblins for a final battle, is that once the 'seige' or 'ambush' is broken, the goblin's priority will be to flee. They will fight back if attacked, of course, but generally they'll be more concerned with trying to get away. I imagine it as chasing soming down with an axe, who occsionally swings a sword wildly behind them. It's kind of anticlimatic. Captures forces, even if armed and armored, re much less of a threat than an invading force.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 04:24:08 am »

Also, not to switch topics, but is there a way to piss off the goblins? Ive only seen a single snatcher after 4 years.

What's your fort value? Have you sold lots of stuff to the merchants? Many people report having increased frequency and size of goblin sieges by (rapidly) increasing their fort value by producing high value stuff/artefacts. High value metal goods/furniture (gem studding optional) is a good way to up the fort value. There's still a feeling of randomness to it though, sometimes they just won't siege you no matter what you do.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 04:32:17 am »

Just wait, if you are being attacked by snatcher soo they'll appear. Snatchers usually come along with ambushes.