Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easy way of using burrows.  (Read 740 times)

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Easy way of using burrows.
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:57:36 pm »

So I've recently started using burrows because skeletal camels are murderous. However I always find that I forget to assign a new area to the burrow when I designate it to be dug and I come back to it to find that it hasn't been done wishing that I could assign certain areas as banned without assigning everywhere I want to go as allowed.
I now have come up with the solution, Reverse Burrows. Assign the whole map to a burrow then unassign anywhere you don't want dwarves going. It doesn't even take that long to do since burrows can be marked across z-levels.
So if anyone has been choosing not to use burrows because of the micromanaging here is the solution.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Easy way of using burrows.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:03:43 pm »

Unless of course you make above ground forts... Which are completely unplanned. Then the norm is better ;]

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:34:31 pm »

You can designate burrows over z levels?

Back to dwarf fortress!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:41:50 pm »

Back to dwarf fortress!

How?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:42:48 pm »

Back to dwarf fortress!

How?

Put the select corner on one z lvl, go up/down one level and press enter.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 04:04:29 pm »

Just keep in mind that burrows don't actually prevent dwarves from leaving the burrow.  Burrows prevent dwarves assigned to the burrow from using any item or building outside the burrow.  Dwarves can still walk through areas not in the burrow on their way to another part of the burrow.  Your 'reverse burrow' technique will prevent dwarves from doing any jobs in the non-burrow areas, but won't stop them from walking through those areas.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 04:33:21 pm »

I think the important question is -- will it prevent the idiots dwarves from pathing to pig-tail socks that are outside the burrow? ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 05:00:16 pm »

Just keep in mind that burrows don't actually prevent dwarves from leaving the burrow.  Burrows prevent dwarves assigned to the burrow from using any item or building outside the burrow.  Dwarves can still walk through areas not in the burrow on their way to another part of the burrow.  Your 'reverse burrow' technique will prevent dwarves from doing any jobs in the non-burrow areas, but won't stop them from walking through those areas.
Yes, combine with (d)esignations (o)traffic areas to ensure your dwarves take the safe route even if a shorter/more dangerous route exists.
I think the important question is -- will it prevent the idiots dwarves from pathing to pig-tail socks that are outside the burrow? ;)
Yes, if the sock if outside the burrow dwarves will ignore it... unless they own it in which case they will spam you about owned items. It's better to set the (o)rders (F)orbid setting so that dead bodies and belongings are automatically forbidden, then unforbid them personally when all is clear, if you assign your burrow directly above the corpse and dwarves will only collect from that specific square.