Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact Junk menaces with spikes of Crap. what to do with it?  (Read 781 times)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact Junk menaces with spikes of Crap. what to do with it?
« on: December 02, 2011, 10:04:16 am »

Ive got a nice set of golden earrings and a dolomite figurine (which unfortunately it seems cant double as a statue, hmmph).  Im sure my little bearded wonders are planning even more artifact crap for me.  I cant trade it.  What in the nine beards of hell do you do with this junk?  I'll be damned if I let the kobolds run off with it tho..

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Artifact Junk menaces with spikes of Crap. what to do with it?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 10:09:30 am »

I like to make a secured room somewhere in my fortress containing a stockpile for finished goods, furniture, weapons and armor, that only accepts artifact-quality items.  (I also disable artifact-quality items on all other stockpiles in the fortress).  The artifacts are still mostly useless, but at least they're in a secure place.

You can also mod in the Display Case building which can be used to turn any object (including artifacts) into a piece of furniture that your dwarves can admire.  This does require a world regen however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:37:35 am »

one of my dorfs created a throne worth 18000* then i got a tantruming dwarf who started to ruin my farm plots n stuff. since he was a key ingredient in my military i decided to give him his own room and i put the chair in it. seems he has royal quarters now. and he is estatic. as for the rest of the items i got so far i think they are compleatly useless :D

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 08:45:31 am »

one of my dorfs created a throne worth 18000* then i got a tantruming dwarf who started to ruin my farm plots n stuff. since he was a key ingredient in my military i decided to give him his own room and i put the chair in it. seems he has royal quarters now. and he is estatic. as for the rest of the items i got so far i think they are compleatly useless :D

This is what I usually do with my best military Dwarves, nobles, and important legendary crafters, you have to make sure they get a room(I use 4*4 for regular, and 6*6 for military, nobles, and legendaries) with either masterwork items or an artifact.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 11:58:02 pm »

Nobles will be upset that non-noble dwarves have nice bedrooms. I recall reading that it doesn't even have to be nicer than the Noble's room, just that it has to be a better room than what is 'expected' for the common dwarf or even for other lesser nobles.

EDIT: It's probably only important if you want to keep a noble that would eventually be outraged to the point of insanity by your military dwarf's nice artifact containing room.

I have a really hard time keeping nobles that don't like lesser nobles from having too good of a room happy in my forts, even when I feel like keeping them, for this reason. It sneaks up on me quite often when I get to point of the Nobles moving in, because like you did I often assign rooms to counteract the terrible, terrible tragedy that the first few goblin raids tend to inflict on my waves of poorly outfitted, dabbling dodger wrestler dwarves with the important ones clutching whatever picks/woodaxes/weapons they can find.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:04:46 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 06:00:34 am »

Yeah but thats just it, artifact furniture is hardly worthless, because you can place it somewhere to pump a rooms value.  There are plenty of items that cannot be placed tho, or even incorporated into a placeable object (like buckets into wells etc), and it is these that truly do nothing but attract thieves.