Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cossacks! So many Cossacks!  (Read 8705 times)

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
Cossacks! So many Cossacks!
« on: December 06, 2011, 02:34:51 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:58:21 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Cossacks! So many Cossacks!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 03:05:55 pm »

I enjoyed most of the Cossacks games, but Cossacks II Napoleonic Wars for me was the best. The story campaign is OK, nothing too fancy - just a sequence of missions with a forgettable story. Then there's a grand campaign where you pick one of the great powers and battle it out kind of like Risk (the boardgame), manually controlling each battle in smaller scenarios.

The game has a fair bit of longevity, and it's absolutely glorious to see all your formations in perfect array, and manually telling the several lines of the formation to fire. The glorious cavalry charges, the cannons cutting down swathes of enemy or whittling them down slowly from a distance, the capture for important strategic resources... in some senses it reminds me of the old Celtic Kings. The resource system is that you have several villages strewn around the map, each of which produces a certain kind of resource. You need coal and steel to fire, you need food, lumber and steel to field more troops, etc. Depending on what you're doing, you'll have to capture and hold strategic villages to keep the resources flowing, or you run out.

I did play the older Cossacks games, and I recall them being enjoyable, but perhaps not to the point of Cossacks II. They were more standard RTS fare, with peasants gathering whatever resources you told them to, but again, millions of units on screen.

I would personally go for Cossacks II: Napoleonic Wars provided you are into the era. I never enjoyed the version of the Cossacks engine based on the American history, as it doesn't interest me that much. I did try to run Cossacks II: European Wars, but never could. Might've been the sea salt and the jolly roger, but at least Napoleonic Wars ran on a relatively modern system (possibly with W7, can't recall).

For $5 I might grab it myself! :)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 06:10:49 pm »

I'll love to see some more feedback on this series! I'll admit that I have a soft spot for sprite based RTS ever since palying Age of Empires all those years back but I've never had the chance to play a Cossack game.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:02:53 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:08:43 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:34:58 am »

yeah, cossacks 2 is great. the battles are nice, there is strategy involved, and it shows how much fighting sucked back then. the campaigh sucks, but the skirmish and conquering of europe are nice.

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:46:20 am »

The campaign isnt anything special, is a fun introduction to the game I think though.

I still remember playing the original Cossacks, using all the ammo up in 1 volley from the large ships....

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 12:52:15 pm »

American conquest was kind of nice, but the AI in skirmish tend to just try to run around / through your soldiers to try to burn down the buildings.  :(

I've played a lot of cossacks 1, mostly "back to war". Also check out the Imperia mod for that one if you decide to get it.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.