Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Realm Explorer - It's like Wurm Online suddenly became good  (Read 6958 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile

Shall we test my hand at a thread for an indie sandbox game in development?

Realm Explorer will be a computer game about creation in the fantasy universe of Gnostaria; your creations.  In perhaps the most dynamic sandbox world yet to be conceived you will be able to dig the soil and mine ore, precious metals and gems all in a beautiful and dynamic 3D world.  The terrain will shape and form to your actions.  Drive a shovel into the ground and watch the earth give way.  Heave your pickaxe into a cave wall and see the stone disintegrate before you; revealing the treasure beneath.  Go on adventures alone or with friends via internet multiplayer and craft weapons, armor, tools and other items.  How you play is up to you.  The possibilities are limitless.

I'm more or less looking at it as a re-envisioned Wurm, in all the best ways. It seems awfully ambitious, but the progress they have already is seriously promising. They're certainly not on track to meet the Kickstarter goal at the moment, though, which is a damn shame.
Kickstarter
About the Developers/Introducing Realm Explorer
Dev Diary 5/14/2012 - NPCs
Preview Video 3 - Character Customization
Preview Video 2 - Skeleton Monsters
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:35:33 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Realm Explorer - It's like Wurm Online suddenly became good
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 01:22:27 pm »

You forgot the youtube videos Jay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mUiTUwnnA2s

It'd be a shame to see such a promising game see failure.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:04:29 pm »

Very niiiice, yes?

Well it's about time, would there truly be anything better than a nicer looking minecraft combined with an mmo?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:32:08 pm »

Looks pretty cool, but 13 days left and 0.4% funded...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:58:31 pm »

Looks pretty cool, but 13 days left and 0.4% funded...
And 345 backers.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 06:08:58 pm »

Well, they are trying to raise two-hundred and fifty THOUSAND dollars.  That's not chump change!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 06:24:56 pm »

The problem is that there isn't a big enough name or fan base behind it to make it work in Kickstarter. Heck, I'm interested, but I don't feel like investing in something I don't know anything about besides an outline of features. It might have had a chance of succeeding if it had started off with some viral marketing and some alpha-testing. As it is, it's a cool idea that people like, but don't want to invest in because that's all it is at this stage: A cool idea with some pre-pre-alpha pictures and videos.

People are going to realize Kickstarter isn't going to spontaneously create an army of Notch clones, even if the project is a good one with sufficient talent and good design behind it. Because that's the problem: We don't know the talent behind the project. Heck, even their profile is a little lacking in details about the people behind the project. It's no wonder they've received so little money for what would otherwise be a potentially good project.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:21:23 pm »

we are presently working on a single player pre-alpha demo that will be ready in the next few days
Yeah...  maybe that's what they need?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 10:40:46 pm »

$250,000 is a pretty big kickstarter for an upstart company. Tim Schafer- one of the undisputed and most charismatic legends of the industry - asked for only $400,000 for his game. He's proven and done his time and we know what he can deliver. These guys have some nice video but they're otherwise an unknown quantity.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:54:14 pm »

While it looks cool (THE SKELE SPAWNING ANIMATION IS AMAZING!!!) I doubt that it will be Funded by Kickstarter so quickly. They should have started with a Smaller Number that would fund enough to reach Alpha or something early, have those that funded it Get access to said Alpha for testing, and then have those people and maybe more spread the word via vids or even published magazines of the like, then state that they were starting the Kickstarter to increase the ability to reach Beta release, those that fund this get into that Closed Beta as well as the Alpha Funders and then finally have a final Kickstarter to reach Post Beta where those that Pay can get in with a cheaper cost and if its a P2P model a cheaper X month discount to their Payments...

They are unknown, they need more then just Kickstarter to get known...

Though it does look good...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 05:33:23 am »

Another one of these irresistable KS projects? Goddamnit. I wish I had money. I'd give them 240,000 in a heartbeat if it'll be as incredible as it seems from the page. It really does look like a good version of Wurn, which was already pretty neat in and of itself. Not to mention it's actually pretty nice to look at, which is hard to come across in games like these.

Shutupandtakemymoney.gif

How do we get this more publicity?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 06:57:52 am »

Damn, this may actually be the first kickstarter that i'm going to participate in...
Just looks so irresistable!
If i can get into the beta, i can suggest them to make sure there is not a huge degree of grinding, because that pretty much killed wurm.

Plus, the only game i ever played before full release was minecraft.
And we all know that it was kind of already released before the 'release'

EDIT:
Wow, awesome, looks like there will be no subscriptions and it will rather work with a minecraft system, people host their own servers :D
(i hate subscriptions, never played a game that has them :x)

EDIT2:
One thing bugs me, it seems they are going to try and do it in a single year.

EDIT3:
Gah, doesnt seem like i'm backing...
KICKSTARTER, Y U NO PAYPAL?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:42:23 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 01:48:31 pm »

Involved in Gothic 3
I'm not sure if you should be mentioning that.

I'm backing this, though. The feature list sounds nice overall.