Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you order dwarves to stay inside?  (Read 2940 times)

lostsomething

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you order dwarves to stay inside?
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:14:50 am »

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this question but I've searched every menu in game and not found anything that seemed even remotely likely and the best my google's managed to come up with is that it's supposed to be *o*rders *i*nside but there's no "stay inside" thing under my orders menu.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you order dwarves to stay inside?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:29:52 am »

o-i is a previous version thing
You can either make them unable to come outside by closing your entrance or set burrows. Setting the whole underground to be a burrow, then pressing m,a, then highlighting the "active/training", then going right two times and selecting that burrow, then selecting the active/training should have the same effect

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:38:43 am »

It should be noted that if you use burrows to limit your dwarfs movements, they will only travel around inside the burrows with the exception of traveling between burrows they are authorized to be in.

You could have your craftsdwarf have three unconnected burrows, stockpile/workshop, meeting hall, and their personal room, and there would be no conflict as to how to travel between them.

lostsomething

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:39:34 am »

Ah, suspected it might be.

Closing the entrance was always Plan A, the problem was that when invasion came I still had a dozen or so people running in and out gathering wood and didn't really want to leave them stranded out there.

... I do have to say "o i" sounded like a lot less work. I haven't really tried using burrows yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:45:55 am »

Ah, suspected it might be.

Closing the entrance was always Plan A, the problem was that when invasion came I still had a dozen or so people running in and out gathering wood and didn't really want to leave them stranded out there.

... I do have to say "o i" sounded like a lot less work. I haven't really tried using burrows yet.

o-i never worked properly anyway.

The best thing to do is set a burrow somewhere in your fort. It doesn't have to be big. You don't need to assign any dwarves to it.
In the military menu, set the burrow to active/training. That is all for now.

When trouble comes and you have dwarves outside, set civilian alert to active/training. The Active/Training will now have [CIV] right next to it. This will make dwarves drop whatever they are doing and run to the burrow you set up. Once they are all in, close the entrance and set civilian alert back to Inactive.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:12 am »

Burrows indeed.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 10:49:25 am »

You don't need to assign them? e_o I feel stupid now. XD
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 01:23:47 pm »

You don't need to assign them?

Well that depends on what exactly you are trying to do.

lostsomething

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:44:46 am »

.................... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell am I doing wrong? I know I got it right once when I managed to get everyone to stay in a room with a constant stream of "canceled task, cannot reach so and so storepile" messages but when I open the gate to try and let some immigrants in a half dozen fishermen decide "Oh, this is the perfect time to head down to the stream!" and go tripsying out the front door and straight into the loving arms of goblin spearmen. Then dozens more come pouring out to grab their stuff...

I have one large burrow that covers most of my base with the exception of the fortified front door. I click "Active/Training" and get the CIV marker next to it, the burrow has a large A next to it. I've tried it both ways, with or without the A (Why A?! What does that mean?!!) and neither way seems to make them at all inclined to get back inside.

Oh, and the Dwarf Wiki gave me a nice laugh.

"Note that burrow restriction replaces the 'Dwarves may/may not go outside' order that was in the older versions. By default, the civilian alert level is set to 'Inactive' and no burrow restrictions apply. If you intend on having your Dwarves stay inside at any time, for any reason, you will need to create a burrow. See Military interface for a step by step walk-through."

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Military_interface

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:40:00 pm »

The "A" means that the burrow is active and civilian dwarves will be restricted to it. This is a good thing for stay inside alert/burrows.

Just a few questions.
1)Did you accidentally designate part of the outside area as part of the burrow? If so that might allow your dwarves to go outside.
2)Are your dwarves dying of thirst? That might make them go to the river regardless of burrows (not sure about this one though).
3)Did you deactivate the alert after you closed the gate? I've had several times where I deactivate the alarm when everyone is "safe" and forget to turn it back on before I open the gate again, leading to suicidal dwarves.

That is about all that I got. If you are still having these problems even with the [CIV] next to active/training and when you highlight active/training the burrow is marked with a green A, then I strongly suggest that you either take some screenshots of those screens so we can see exactly what is happening or upload a save for us to take a look at.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

lostsomething

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 01:39:11 pm »

I think I figured it out, there's a mild delay between when you give an alert and when a dwarf recognizes it and changes whatever they were doing before. I think my problem was that I kept flipping things on and off trying to find what'd give the right behavior while the goblins were attacking that it led to a case of crossed wires as they'd go "The fish are calling! No wait, the alarms are wailing. They stopped? Fish! Alarms! Spears being wielded by angry green people!".

A was my first thought. I did have one really odd occasion though where I had one ranger who'd managed to get stuck outside the gate for most of the battle, took quite awhile but he was still alive even after the goblins left so I tried to let him back in but he was rooted to the spot and wouldn't move. I checked his status and it said he was "stationed" so I tried moving his squad around, the other people would move but not him. The only thing that finally got him to move was when I stood down his squad and rerang the "get inside" bell after which he finally went back.

... and then there was the one dwarf who had a coyote skeleton in his room. I seriously have no idea how that happened, it's not anywhere near the refuse pile and there's no way a coyote could've made it inside to die there. I had another dwarf who kept stealing crowns from the goods bins and I thought that was kind of cute but a coyote skeleton?...