Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fastest way of starting a war?  (Read 476 times)

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fastest way of starting a war?
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:55:35 pm »

Over my last few games, I've been trying to bring about a war with the elves. However, despite my best efforts, they simply don't attack, and keep send caravans my way. Are there any good tricks to starting a war, or just be patient and steal all of their stuff?

e: Also, does anyone know any specifics about the Military Tactics skill?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:19:40 pm by Jorshamo »

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest way of starting a war?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:21:09 pm »

As far as making them mad from trading, I'll bet stealing all of their stuff and then offering them large amounts of wood would give the most offense possible per trading trip. Haven't tried it myself.

Of course, the best way is to mod the liason that negotiates limits on how much wood you're allowed to cut down back in, establish an agreement and then massively exceed it. Or kill the liason...if you want to indisputably be the bad guy. The liason makes it more of a culture clash leading to a war that both sides consider justified.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 06:24:15 pm »

Over my last few games, I've been trying to bring about a war with the elves. However, despite my best efforts, they simply don't attack, and keep send caravans my way. Are there any good tricks to starting a war, or just be patient and steal all of their stuff?

e: Also, does anyone know any specifics about the Military Tactics skill?

Military tactics as of now, have no purpose.
[Doesn't mean you can't mod in some workshop to train your militia commander to have legendary military tactics and pretend he's marshalling your dwarves across the fort though :P)
And stealing all of their stuff, then killing the elves is a good start, killing diplomats, other then that, you'll just have to rinse and repeat until they decide you are enough of a nuisance to destroy your fps.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 06:48:11 pm »

You'll need to mod them to have a diplomat again.  Then, when the diplomat shows up to nag you about cutting trees, kill him.  War will happen.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:07:38 pm »

Alright. So how do I mod a diplomat back in, and will it require a regen? I'm not very familiar with modding.

e: Nevermind, found what I needed through the bug tracker. Thanks, though!

e2: If anyone else is interested in how I fixed this, I got it here.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:56:54 am by Jorshamo »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:40:02 pm »

For the benefit of others, the necessary info can be found in the discussion for bug #3295, and it will require a regen.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.