Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rotten food  (Read 1953 times)

Slovak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rotten food
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:52:31 pm »

Got rotten food in my kitchen that dwarves will neither dump nor stockpile. What do I do with it?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Rotten food
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:05:49 pm »

Is it owned by any dwarf?

There's not much you can do with it, but you should find out why a dwarf is claiming food and then leaving it around to rot, if that's the case.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Slovak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:10:14 pm »

I don't know what was going on. I think it was my miner, since he was sitting around scratching his hairy arse for the better part of ten minutes instead of helping his friend carve out my dining hall. But he decided that there were better things in life than making my dwarves suffer and disowned the food. Or it rotted away. I don't know.

I'll keep that in mind and keep the DF hack utility ready. Uh. Does that make the dwarves strip from their clothing when I run it, since it strips ownership of items?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:24:06 pm »

Did you make the miner part of your military?  The conflicting uniform bug can sometimes result in unwanted owned food lying around.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:14:33 pm »

Check the item with {k} and find out whether it's listed as Owned by a dwarf.  If it is, I would suggest using the 'cleanowned' utility in the DF-Hack library to remove the ownership so that your dwarves will pick up and stockpile/dump the items again.  Otherwise it will just sit there rotting forever.

Link to DFHack:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166

Dwarves dropping 'claimed' food and letting it rot is a fairly well known bug I think.  I believe you can prevent *most* of it from happening by not letting your military use backpacks to haul the food around, but myself I let them use the backpacks and just use 'cleanowned' occasionally as needed.

--nomad_delta

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 09:19:13 pm »

Dwarves dropping 'claimed' food and letting it rot is a fairly well known bug I think.  I believe you can prevent *most* of it from happening by not letting your military use backpacks to haul the food around
Actually, the way you prevent it from happening is to make sure none of your military dwarves have the Mining, Wood Cutting, or Hunting labors enabled, since that's what makes them drop their backpacks in the first places.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:26:28 pm »

Dwarves dropping 'claimed' food and letting it rot is a fairly well known bug I think.  I believe you can prevent *most* of it from happening by not letting your military use backpacks to haul the food around
Actually, the way you prevent it from happening is to make sure none of your military dwarves have the Mining, Wood Cutting, or Hunting labors enabled, since that's what makes them drop their backpacks in the first places.

You're right, if you enable any of those labors on a military dwarf they'll end up dropping backpacks full of food all over the place.  There seems to be something else that also causes it though, albeit much more rarely.  I just had two units of 'owned' prepared meals lying on the ground in my current fort that I have to remove with cleanowned, and I *never* enable any labors on my military squads.  In this case the meals were just lying there by themselves without the backpacks -- I suspect it was something like a dwarf in the middle of eating (or hauling the meal to a table) getting interrupted by something scary and dropping it on the spot, but I'm not certain.

--nomad_delta

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 10:04:04 pm »

Actually, I just remembered something that I used to know and had rather forgotten: having your military carry food in backpacks causes them  to eat it wherever they happen to be rather than going to your Legendary Dining Room of Awesomeness and getting the super-happy thought from doing so.

Quietust, out of curiosity, do you use backpacks at all for yours?  I'm thinking maybe I should disable my backpacks but leave the waterskins on to carry booze since the dwarves don't go to the dining room to drink anyway.  Especially since I've got a couple squads teetering on the edge of unhappiness at the moment due to some recent catastrophes.... :)

--nomad_delta

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 10:16:34 pm »

I always give my soldiers backpacks and flasks, since they get enough happy thoughts from the 3 "S"s - sparring, slaughter, and sleeping.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 10:18:46 pm »

Typically this only happens to me when there are long ways between food stockpiles and the dining room. Then, every time a dwarf gets food, goes to dining room and gets interrupted by something, dropping the food, I have a rotting food piece somewhere down the halls.

I never noticed backpacks causing any similar trouble at all.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 10:29:30 pm »

Dwarves who are wrestling can sometime wrestle food off each other, but training without weapons is uncommon.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.