Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Running out of dwarfs?  (Read 666 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Running out of dwarfs?
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:17:25 am »

If I'm reading the Legends XML right, my new world only has a couple hundred dwarfs still alive.  Do migrants get drawn from that number (or do they come from "off map")?  If so, would I stop getting migrants after enough of my dwarfs die in... accidents?

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Running out of dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:28:51 am »

As far as I know, only the first two migrant waves are hardcoded.
So, if you get a world without any dwarfs, you will not get other than the first migrants.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:40:04 am »

In the current version, migrants are created from scratch when they enter the map and aren't drawn from the existing world population.  So long as you have a viable dwarven civilization in your world, you don't need to worry about running out of immigrants.

This may change in the next version, where dwarves created in world history can show up as immigrants.  I don't know if the game will still make immigrants from scratch as needed, or if you'll actually be able to depopulate the world of dwarves by killing enough immigrants.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist McCheater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:52:59 pm »

[...]you'll actually be able to depopulate the world of dwarves by killing enough immigrants.
I sense a new mega-project idea coming on!
Is there any way (after killing them) to wear my enemies' skin, hands or even heads as a trophy or just for fun?

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:01:30 pm »

Volcanoe sacrifice.

NO! wait ridding the world of elves.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)