Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unepic - Cheeky Sidescrolling RPG  (Read 2047 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Unepic - Cheeky Sidescrolling RPG
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:58:34 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=15wIdk_lzwk - (Totalbiscuit "WTF is Unepic?" video.)

http://www.unepicgame.com/en/downloads.html - Game and demo page

----

Saw this on another forum and my first thought was "Does Bay12 know about this?"

From a Spanish developer, Unepic is a sidescrolling platformer RPG that, at first blush, made me think of Terraria. (Ironic I find this after playing 1.1 for a solid two days.)

The game starts with a group of older D&D players. You, the main character, get up to pee and end up in a strange land. Nerd reference abound, but that's because your character is a nerd and references everything with their most relevant life experience, games. I haven't seen too much, but I was immediately struck by the polish and old style JRPG character frames while people speak, which all look really great. There's a demo out for it that's quite expansive from what people are saying.

Not all of these games struck a note with me (read as: Grotesque Tactics tries way too hard to be funny), but there seems to be a lot to like about this one. It seems a little on the vulgar side with plenty of foul language early on and that isn't exactly clever, but others have said the writing is one of the strong points of the game.

There's also an interesting pricing scheme at work. The base price is 9.5 euros, but, you can choose from several other prices, as low as 6.5 euros, all the way up to £19.5 euros if you think it's worth it. Payment is via Paypal and your email is the record of account they keep with you.

Also, this might be the most epic employee page I've ever read: http://www.unepicgame.com/en/autor.html
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:19:10 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Unepic - Cheeky Sidescrolling RPG
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 01:20:51 am »

I thoroughly enjoy jumping down a hole behind an orc and clobbering the hell out of him.

Also, mine store best store.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:40:43 am by Farce »

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 02:35:17 am »

You forgot to mention that the cheapest version is buggy.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:19:32 pm »

I've played about a third of the way through this game and I must say, it's really fun. If you can get past the forced humor and annoying video game references, the game play is rather addictive and the music is really great. The sounds are great too. It's not a huge, heart-pounding adventure, but it's still a fun little thing to play after work every day. Everything in it just feels good. Reminds me of.. good things.