Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Iron Chef succession game  (Read 8220 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Chef succession game
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 06:32:07 am »

It occurs to me that setting up a fort that overlays the back of your named shop (using nanofortress for instance, and an isoworld map from a previous save to place it exactly), would have it backing onto a fortress that could produce all your "wares" and furniture.  Pimping the non-fort bit out using adv-fort would be easier because all your stockpiles would be right at the edge of the fort map, ready for transport.

It's a work-around, but lots of this stuff is, isn't it?

By the way, you're right: those are some fun facts about any item being a container.  Find a way for an animal to be a container we'll have created "mounts".
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 08:40:11 am »

It occurs to me that setting up a fort that overlays the back of your named shop (using nanofortress for instance, and an isoworld map from a previous save to place it exactly), would have it backing onto a fortress that could produce all your "wares" and furniture.  Pimping the non-fort bit out using adv-fort would be easier because all your stockpiles would be right at the edge of the fort map, ready for transport.

It's a work-around, but lots of this stuff is, isn't it?

By the way, you're right: those are some fun facts about any item being a container.  Find a way for an animal to be a container we'll have created "mounts".
uhh about mounts I learn recently that babies mount their mothers like horsesand you can alter the relationship of the mount id on the rider to switch to any unit on the map if the unit has the mount flag on them. sadly I have no idea how to get mounts to work on the fly. but if I work on getting any item to be a vehicle mounts could work.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 06:58:24 pm »

How does DF get traders to disembark from their wagons?  One idea was for the trader entity to be "bundled" with the wagon entity as just one more good, that then is removed from the wagon at the Depot which causes the "Merchants are setting up their goods" thing.  What's interesting, if this supposition is true, is that entities can become goods which will be able to be stored and moved, (by wagons or adventurers or creatures with backpacks renamed as "saddles", ect...), and that the entity is able to be unpacked into a self-motivated object once more preserving its statuses.

I don't know if that's how it works, but the fact that enemies can come in on mounts, and babies are mounted on their mothers tells me that there's code for that already written, and that finding out how that code interacts with the surrounding matrices might indicate how adventurers or fort-dwarves might be enabled with that same functionality.

The mine carts can be ridden in - I wonder if mine carts could be changed to automagically lay their own tracks?  Seems to me, that a mine cart able to do that sounds like an adventure-mode version of a wagon.  Add a creature into the mix as a motivator (or a team of creatures if you like) and the mine cart/adventurer wagon is self-powered as well.

I also wonder if wheelbarrows are able to transport people as well as rocks?  Palanquins and jitney carriages sound functionally similar.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 10:10:27 pm »

How does DF get traders to disembark from their wagons?  One idea was for the trader entity to be "bundled" with the wagon entity as just one more good, that then is removed from the wagon at the Depot which causes the "Merchants are setting up their goods" thing.  What's interesting, if this supposition is true, is that entities can become goods which will be able to be stored and moved, (by wagons or adventurers or creatures with backpacks renamed as "saddles", ect...), and that the entity is able to be unpacked into a self-motivated object once more preserving its statuses.

I don't know if that's how it works, but the fact that enemies can come in on mounts, and babies are mounted on their mothers tells me that there's code for that already written, and that finding out how that code interacts with the surrounding matrices might indicate how adventurers or fort-dwarves might be enabled with that same functionality.

The mine carts can be ridden in - I wonder if mine carts could be changed to automagically lay their own tracks?  Seems to me, that a mine cart able to do that sounds like an adventure-mode version of a wagon.  Add a creature into the mix as a motivator (or a team of creatures if you like) and the mine cart/adventurer wagon is self-powered as well.

I also wonder if wheelbarrows are able to transport people as well as rocks?  Palanquins and jitney carriages sound functionally similar.
well to put it in a way, we already know how to shove a living unit into an item like stealing babies, just that we don't know how to shove an living unit on top of a living unit. I gain control over a mount and a rider so it's possible, just that the only thing that's preventing us from doing so is my lack of know how... wait I think I have something, but this topic is derailing on the subject of shoving pork sandwiches into pigs then selling it to a store.
which we can do thankfully so this succession game is still on. so yeah use adv fort to find a general store then pimp it out. note that only buildings and items will stay in place so you could build loads of tables and chairs then hide all the store stock underground.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 03:57:18 am »

Huzzah!  Alrighty then - I'll open up the game and maybe set it up in the "Luckiest Tourist Ever" world.  Since that game's been dawdling along on pretty much idle for the past while, I'll just add this bit to it and use the same save files for both games.  Hell, I imagine lots of minigames could be stuck together, leading to an even richer diversity of stuff to be found or accomplished in a world.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 04:03:08 am »

Does the world have dragons?

It could.  I was using the Masterwork Mod to set it up, but I'm still in the "how many blocks plus scaffolding will it take to build each piece" area, so dragons could be modded in as the only megabeasts.  That might be interesting.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:06:50 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 [2]