Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Any recommended horror games?  (Read 6920 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Any recommended horror games?
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2011, 11:38:59 pm »

I think it's just what happens when you couple a brilliant writer to, well, just about any dev house. The ability to realize the world a writer created in a game play sense isn't easy. And having read a fair amount of Clive Barker, I'm not surprised that no one has managed to turn his work into top-selling games.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2011, 11:49:46 pm »

What you need my friend, is to look into the Fatal Frame series for the Playstation 2. Though, if you don't have one, I'm sure you can grab an emulator for it someplace on the interwebz. I've bought all three games a while ago, and I've yet to even finish the first one. It's god awful scary.

Expect that whole Japanese ghost / Alma from Fear thing, with the exception of it happening at the most unsuspecting times and about 10 folds more frequently.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2011, 11:52:06 pm »

What you need my friend, is to look into the Fatal Frame series for the Playstation 2. Though, if you don't have one, I'm sure you can grab an emulator for it someplace on the interwebz. I've bought all three games a while ago, and I've yet to even finish the first one. It's god awful scary.

Expect that whole Japanese ghost / Alma from Fear thing, with the exception of it happening at the most unsuspecting times and about 10 folds more frequently.

I own the third (and apperantly worst) one and I havn't beat it either. One part of the game just uttarly freightened me (two actually. One was an accidental popscare.)

I will say that I agree with people that Fatal Frame would probably be 2x scarier if they took away, or had an option to hide, the score for each photo you take. The game is still scary and I have to say fighting with a camera that you focus to deal more damage is an great way to add tension to a fight... It is just somewhat taken away from with "Close shot: 300pts"

It is definately a game that is deeply interesting.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2011, 12:54:20 pm »

I'll add a chime in for Silent Hill 1 and 2, maybe 3.  SH 2 is in my opinion the best, and SH 1 is good (the aged graphics honestly just make it better I think, the incomprehensible textures and things add a layer of surreal creepy).  SH 3 is not bad, although it loses a lot of the scariness factor when they give you an automatic weapon, it's just not as good as the previous two.  SH 4 has its moments, but they're fewer and further between.  SH Origins is frustrating because it has some cheap tricks, and SH Homecoming was... a lot of poor decisions in a row.  SH Shattered Memories has a neat story, but I think it totally lost the atmosphere which makes it inferior.  Also, I hate blind mazes.

The main thing to watch out for in SH 1, 2, and 3, is the difficulty settings.  Combat difficulty should really always be left at minimum.  I can't remember if SH1 has separate combat/puzzle difficulty settings, but SH 2 and 3 do.  I like to crank puzzles up to max but leave combat at minimum, because the combat in the games is already bad enough without giving the monsters 3 million HP.  Really weird hit detection and sluggish controls means you do not want to be playing these games if you're looking for a fight--generally, running away is the better option.  I think that adds to the game rather than detracts from it, personally, since I prefer horror games where the atmosphere is what messes with you most, and the scariest parts are the long stretches where you don't see any enemies at all.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is also good.  I wouldn't say it's as scary, per say, since you easily mow through whole hordes of enemies, but it has great atmosphere, and the insanity system is the best-done that I've yet seen in a game with the freakish hallucinations that pull some really great tricks time to time.  The main problem with that game is it's kind of rare, so very expensive to buy nowadays.

Someone mentioned The Void earlier, which I agree is a good game, although I found it utterly impossible without the extensive use of a guide--the resource management seems so demandingly finicky to me that I eventually just started using console commands so I didn't die of lack of color after saving in a spot where I literally could not get enough to survive to the next cycle.  Maybe I'm just too wasteful, I dunno.  It has some great freaky-enemies though, and the general weird atmosphere is well-done.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »

I would recommend Demonophobia, but personally that game is too fucked up even for me. Still worth a mention, because if it can scare a hardened denizen of the internet like myself who doesn't even flinch at anything found on 4chan into depriving himself of sleep because he's too scared to even go to the bathroom, then it will scare anyone.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2011, 02:19:14 pm »

Minecraft, those skeleton's sudden arrow shots still scare me  :P

O, and the creepers. Your mining at that coal int he wall and you hear "SSSsssssssss" and know the only option you have is to flail your mouse around in panic.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »

I'm just gonna go in a wildly different direction and plug Scratches. Atmospheric point-and-click adventure set in a big empty victorian house. No action, no enemies, but quite well done if you're willing to let yourself get into it.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2011, 07:23:41 pm »

Superman 64. That game turned me into the crazed psychopath I am now. Also, Sniper: Ghost Warrior. Seriously, I think that's what the mafia uses for torture.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 04:26:58 am »

Take 500mg of diphenhydramine and then have someone strap you into a chair where you can do nothing but play Desert Bus for 48 hours. That's terror.

(Note: every aspect of this is a bad idea, don't do this, I haven't done this, nobody should, etc.)
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 05:28:06 pm »

Take 500mg of diphenhydramine and then have someone strap you into a chair where you can do nothing but play Desert Bus for 48 hours. That's terror.

(Note: every aspect of this is a bad idea, don't do this, I haven't done this, nobody should, etc.)
As much as i'm mostly against any sorts of meds, drugs, or whatever that may be... I could always watch MLP.

And thank all of you guys, sorry for me not thanking all of you directly and pointing out my opinion about them games. Me and my comrades will group up and decide which games we'll try out. Thank you again. (Oh and, is this a ress-post? No? I'm not necroing?)

chimein

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2011, 10:16:57 am »

I can recommend Vindictus, a good hacknslash...Die2nite is a pretty good browser game too!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:35:05 am by chimein »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2011, 10:26:15 am »

I second a vote for Darkseed. But it's not really makes-you-jump-scary as it is creepy-looking-scary. Seriously it was illustrated by H.R. Giger.

It's classical point and click adventure tho, and a bit slow so dunno if that's what you're looking for. Plenty of ways to fuck up too, a couple of events are scheduled even so you can miss them and get stuck.

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2011, 11:46:36 pm »

Just remembered again! The Haunted House sequence in Vampire: The Masquerade, the game itself isn't entirely scary (though there are some other frightening moments) but that whole level was the most frightening thing I've experienced in a computer game, I literally could not play that by myself, I had my girlfriend at the time play through certain parts for me, haha.

heck yes... the haunted house was pretty scary.... even if you knew the "ghost-manifestations" didnt do serious damage... it was the twistedness and sudden weird sounds that made it scary :D

anyway.. i must recommend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream_%28video_game%29 which is in some sense really scary... and if you dont know the book you might find yourself in an unwinnable situation in the end... but the whole setting and characters are pretty grim

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2011, 04:25:01 pm »

American McGee's Alice (in wonderland).

Truly immersive, and mind bending. Amnesia... Meh. It might be that I've grown around horror movies and stuff, but it seriously relies on you adopting a sense of helplessness. I just couldn't avoid abusing the AI and hiding behind furniture, and I can say it gets pretty hilarious when you repeatedly bash their brains in with rocks xD

In fact, every time they saw me I would charge blindly, and either actually get past them (chucking stuff at them stuns them), or die horribly. Usually the latter. Oh how I broke it so.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2011, 04:26:19 pm »

American McGee's Alice (in wonderland).

Truly immersive, and mind bending. Amnesia... Meh. It might be that I've grown around horror movies and stuff, but it seriously relies on you adopting a sense of helplessness. I just couldn't avoid abusing the AI and hiding behind furniture, and I can say it gets pretty hilarious when you repeatedly bash their brains in with rocks xD

In fact, every time they saw me I would charge blindly, and either actually get past them (chucking stuff at them stuns them), or die horribly. Usually the latter. Oh how I broke it so.

At this time we went from horror to what I call Horroresk like Castlevania
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]