Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My cavern dwelling fort has met with fun, advice on proceeding?  (Read 961 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My cavern dwelling fort has met with fun, advice on proceeding?
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:53:46 pm »

A GCS tore open my expedition leader, the only dwarf with skill in broker, trader, manager etc etc. Can anyone say from experience whether a no-talent peasant assigned to all these jobs will be able to take over the reigns, or should i accept defeat in your opinion.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My cavern dwelling fort has met with fun, advice on proceeding?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:54:37 pm »

It's the first year btw, still struggling to get set up in the caverns. Good times

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:58:07 pm »

The broker's appraisal skill is only needed to show the value of items, so keep your broker as they are and let anyone trade at the depot. Other than that, social skills affect the profit traders will accept, and managers/bookkeepers can be easily trained from scratch.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:17:31 am »

I've gotten along without managers just fine, so even if you don't want to assign an untrained peasant as one, you should be able to hold off til you get a suitable migrant. Brokers are pretty easy to train, as they gain experience from accessing the trade screen, if I remember correctly. So after the first caravan, you can have any peasant be acceptably skilled broker.

It's not over until the final dwarf lets out their last scream of unbearable pain! Continue onward!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 02:31:07 am »

i often dont remember to set up managers/etc until year 2 or so. wait till a BIG bunch of migrants comes and toss one or two of em with no skills into the roll/s.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!