Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Killed Ghost: Bug or a Feature?  (Read 3361 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Killed Ghost: Bug or a Feature?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 08:32:26 am »

There's a very easy way to tell what happened here: make a copy of the region folder, abandon the fortress, then go into Legends mode and look up your ghost. 120☼ says he only died once (in the year 130) and then later came back as a ghost.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

maksymka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 10:10:34 am »

Unfortunatlly I lost the world. I took this screenshot because I was surprised, and it was just liying around.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 01:03:24 pm »

By the way, you could check gamelog.txt in main folder of the game, I'm pretty sure entries aren't rewritten there at any case.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

maksymka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 03:04:44 pm »

By the way, you could check gamelog.txt in main folder of the game, I'm pretty sure entries aren't rewritten there at any case.

Ok, now I am perplexed. I have looked through gamelog.txt (Did not know this thing existed), and did not find ANY info on that particular ghostly dwarf. I have looked through his killer and no mention of fight within gamelog.txt. How is it possible???

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 04:53:23 pm »

One of the weird things I've noticed about ghosts is that if some inaccesable dwarf dies and I place a coffin for him, When the ghost comes the coffin is designated as a tomb belonging to the ghost. I'm not sure if that's related to whats going on here.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 07:08:27 pm »

Well this thread is something.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 08:26:35 pm »

The problem here is that he was killed as a ghost. The story is as following:
Urist McMason was very smart. He always thought to himself:
-Why should I take a long road back to the Fortress, when I can save three tiles and walk over that frozen river! This is genius! Armok bless the ice.
However, when spring came and part of the ice in the south melted, that should have rang a bell to Urist McMason. Not only he refused to clean himself from well within a fortress(platinum block, platinum chains, platinum bucket, and engravings around the well), but he insisted on walking down the ice north of the river to save himself three extra tiles of walk.
-How can they clean themselves inside the Fort? Look at all the sunshine, flowers blooming, birds singing. This is what..,-suddenly Urist McMason heared a cracking noise, that made him stop his monologue, - What is that noise? Why is it coming from the ice. AHHH, Bulb-bulb-bulb!
Urist McMason was a good mason but horrible swimmer. His body has not been retrieved from the river. For six month, any dwarf that would pass by the river would see two pale eyes and a smile, looking at them from the sand bottom. Then, in the late autumn, ice covered the river again, and since then noone could find Urist McMason's body. But they say, if at night on the full moon you look at the river, then you might see a ghostly dwarf walking and cleaning himself in the river.

This is why it's worth taking a few minutes to designate all rivers as restricted areas if they freeze and thaw. If it "cost" 25 times as much to step on a river tile, he'd have gone around.

Now there's a thought.
Someone needs to do SCIENCE on a ghost-riddled fort by giving every surviving dorf gear and hope they get in fights with malignant ghosts. If we're in luck, all that those ghosts want is a good fight and they go down for good if killed again(since they aren't material, maybe they count like FB's and titans made of water, chopped to pieces by anything that brushes them?).

Sounds like a job for ThatAussieGuy. He's got experience making forts that are full of ghosts. :)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

maksymka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2011, 03:03:10 am »

But how to explain that ghost is not mentioned in gamelog.txt?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 06:01:11 am »

This is why it's worth taking a few minutes to designate all rivers as restricted areas if they freeze and thaw. If it "cost" 25 times as much to step on a river tile, he'd have gone around.

you still need to put some bridge here and there (around 60/80 tiles apart should be safe) designated as high traffic, as they will still cross the river if they need to.

gildarumarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 06:26:52 am »

One of the weird things I've noticed about ghosts is that if some inaccesable dwarf dies and I place a coffin for him, When the ghost comes the coffin is designated as a tomb belonging to the ghost. I'm not sure if that's related to whats going on here.
Coffin belongs to a dead dwarf, but his status is 'ghost', so it says it belongs to a ghost. When he is put to rest he becomes 'dead'. That's same thing here.
Also, ghosts cannot be harmed in any way. When a ghost batters someone it's not even 'real' combat and it doesn't generate report, so a dwarf cannot strike back.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2011, 03:00:46 pm »

Quote from: khearn
Sounds like a job for ThatAussieGuy. He's got experience making forts that are full of ghosts.

He would probably teach the ghosts how to wield adamantine weapons.

Unstoppable..... Urist Swayze.

Still, maybe having the dwarf stuck on the same tile as a ghost could work?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 04:42:05 pm »

Urist McSwayze, you mean.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2011, 05:39:49 pm »

Urist McSwayze, you mean.

Nope I mean Urist Swa- OH GOD THE SCARY GHOSTS NUUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 2 [3]