Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1st Edition Boatmurdered  (Read 1655 times)

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
1st Edition Boatmurdered
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:21:48 am »

Hey guys this is my 4th topic started I think (yay me!), anyways I was wondering what would have to be done to get Boatmurdered published as a hardcover book. Which people need to be asked for permissions, I don't want to make any money off this, I want to know who to ask to make one, so the book can be published and I can buy one.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: 1st Edition Boatmurdered
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:38:15 am »

Last time someone wanted to do this without permission and the originators of Boatmurdered decided on something like a $500 licensing fee paid to each of the players involved.  They're all Something Awful members and could probably be reached there.  You might have better luck asking them for permission before starting work on it though.  Of course if it's for personal use there's nothing stopping you from printing it out on your own.

Edit:  Here's the original thread -> http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42561.0
Edit:  Hahahah I forgot how pleasingly indignant people got when the originators of Boatmurdered showed up and put their licensing fee as a way to point out that asking permission beforehand is generally a good idea.  Let that be the take-away lession.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:49:36 am by Capntastic »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:03:54 am »

I'd prefer a popup book, complete with little pull tabs to make the elephants gore the dwarves.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:13:37 am »

Yeah, looking at that thread, your best bet is to get permission from as many of the people involved as possible before you actually go and do this.

Especially Sankis.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 04:25:55 am »

I read the thread mentioned, it seems  the simplest solution is to help the guy out in making a free ebook, it avoids copyright cause its on a public forum and people can just print it if they want

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 05:00:41 am »

As stated in the thread you just read, the SA LP forums are not public, and the LP Archive is opt in.  Something being available on a publically accessible website in no way gives you legal rights to redistribute it.

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:23:22 am »

I suppose to avoid the whole copyright law stuff I'm just going to have to make my own hard copy for personal use, I wonder if there is someplace where you can make single copies of hard cover books for personal fun

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 06:39:38 am »

You can always print it out and take it to a bookbinder.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 12:33:32 pm »

Edit:  Hahahah I forgot how pleasingly indignant people got when the originators of Boatmurdered showed up and put their licensing fee as a way to point out that asking permission beforehand is generally a good idea.  Let that be the take-away lesson.

Oh, my.  Thank you for linking to that - I missed that somehow and it was an entertaining read.  I wouldn't mess with Sankis.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 07:27:44 pm »

The Parable of Sankis is about asking permission before deciding you'd rather disrespect the person you're trying to 'borrow' content from.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 07:42:39 pm »

I suppose to avoid the whole copyright law stuff I'm just going to have to make my own hard copy for personal use, I wonder if there is someplace where you can make single copies of hard cover books for personal fun
Making a hard copy is the essence of a breach of copyright in the book publishing industry. If you make a hard copy, even as stripped down as a manuscript format printout, you are legally making a declaration that you have a right to do that. And you do not. Printing rights belong to the intellectual property holder of a work, and are licensed out on their say so.

Yes, you can still do it. But you are not legally entitled to do it, and you should stop advertising that you are or querying for help in doing this here.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 04:37:22 am »

The whole point of this topic was to throw the idea up and find out the consequences of such actions if they took place. I don't have the time or money to do this kind of thing but like to muse. This topic wasn't a statement to say yes I can legally do this, but a question as to what I can do, after reading that other thread I see that no-one really has any clear idea of what they can and can't do and what laws mean and stuff, so I've decided just to not bother and read Boatmurdered and other such stories in the format and location they're recorded.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 09:18:51 am »

There's also the other approach: ask the admins of bay12(for community games and forums) and SA or LP for permission.

as far as I know both sites include the standard boilerplate in the terms along the lines that you grand the site owners permission to reproduce, distribute, relicense, or make derivative works etc etc etc from your posts. Pretty much every forum has similar. it's so that they can legally run the forum sending copies of your posts to people or have moderators edit them.

so it's not just the original posters who can grant you the rights since they've already granted the right to grant such rights to forum operators.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:48:47 am by HungryHobo »