Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nickname Issues  (Read 822 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Nickname Issues
« on: November 17, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »

I've never had this happen before, and I hesitate to throw this out there, but it's becoming less annoying and more of a problem.

I nickname everyone, snagging them when they come in on the edge of the map and assigning every migrant a unique name so I don't lose track of them (basically to keep there from being duplicate names). I have names like (scrolling through the list): Fiero, Sunflower, Carrot, Goldie, Window, Odin, Trout, Mapoy, Rogue, Flour. Small selection.

Normally I don't have any problem with it. It takes a bit of time to rename everyone, but it's fast enough in dwarf therapist when I'm assigning labors, and then I don't have to mess with it again. If I want to know where Pillbox is, there's no risk of me picking the wrong guy - who else would be named Pillbox?

In this particular fortress, my dwarves are losing their nicknames. If I assign them to the military, that more or less ensures that they'll lose their nickname. If I have something planned for that individual, I lose track of them and can't figure out who it was - without the nickname, I can't tell who is who.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Nickname Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 05:05:13 pm »

Hmmm... Sounds like a bug to me. Are all of the dwarves in the military losing their nicknames, or only those who have achieved "lord" status (i.e. macelord, hammerlord, swordmaster)? Also have you tried assigning the names directly through DF and not through DF therapist?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:35:49 pm »

It's a known bug with Therapist. You need to assign nicknames through the game.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »

I've never had military dwarves lose their nicknames, and my last fort had 40 at a time, all nicknamed.

I've read that some events can cause dwarves to lose their nicknames, but I don't recall precisely what.  I think tantruming could cause this, but my pick-crazy duchess didn't lose hers after tantruming on another citizen.

I'm going to go with it being a bug in Dwarf Therapist.  Never used it, so I don't know personally.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:52:22 pm »

All right, thanks. I'll go with a little more manual renaming from now on, and hope that fixes the problem. :)

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 08:25:12 am »

I would have to concur.  I nickname everyone, as well, after I get done assigning them to their new role within the fortress.  When I started using Therapist for this, I noted nicknames occasionally disappearing.  I've seen it mentioned a few times elsewhere on the forums, as well.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 10:41:18 am »

I ran a search first on the forums to figure out what was causing the disappearing nicknames, but honestly I thought it had more of something to do with Runesmith, since this was the first time I used it. Might've been why I didn't find anything... Sorry if I annoyed anybody by asking a question already answered elsewhere.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 11:38:59 am »

The bug specifically removes dwarves nicknames should they have their nickname generated in DwarfTherapist and then they successfully kill something.  As soon as they get a kill they lose their nickname.  I have been playing all my forts recently where I nickname them in DT with all caps and then in-game changed them to regular case.  Never once lost a nickname since doing this.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 01:01:42 pm »

I've run into this.

Good to know it's an actual bug, and I'm not losing my memory.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 08:21:02 am »

I ran a search first on the forums to figure out what was causing the disappearing nicknames, but honestly I thought it had more of something to do with Runesmith, since this was the first time I used it. Might've been why I didn't find anything... Sorry if I annoyed anybody by asking a question already answered elsewhere.
Oh, no, I'm sorry if I gave you that impression!  I just meant that I was fairly sure it was the DT causing it because others have mentioned it.   :D

The bug specifically removes dwarves nicknames should they have their nickname generated in DwarfTherapist and then they successfully kill something.  As soon as they get a kill they lose their nickname. 
Thanks!  I hadn't really paid close enough attention to figure out what was triggering the name to be gone or to remember whether it would "stick" once I fixed it in DF.  I may actually have been reapplying the nickname using DT, now that I think about it.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 04:15:05 pm »

Is Dwarf Therapist still being updated? Changing names in the actual game is so labor intensive...

Or is the bug with the game itself and just finds expression within DT?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 05:18:40 pm »

The bug lies in therapist, not DF itself. As for whether or not therapist is still being updated, it's sort of in limbo-land right now. I'm sure that an actual answer to that question will show up with the next release where either the last "official" updater will return or maybe the new guy will take over completely.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.