Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Longest lasting fortress?  (Read 6529 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: Longest lasting fortress?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 01:16:35 am »

On a related note, can dwarves die of old age?

If I remember correctly from the time when I was looking in the raws, dwarves have very long lifespans, so they typically die out from !!FUN!! before age eats them. Elves last even longer.

My personal longest was 5 years. I had 150-ish dwarves, and way too many cats, so my FPS was horrid. I pulled the cotton candy stick out and had some !!FUN!! with the clowns.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 01:24:00 am »

On a related note, can dwarves die of old age?

Yes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 01:56:41 am »

How old were those dwarves?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 06:41:01 am »

i just read the histories of boatmurdered. it still lasted many years
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 07:16:26 am »

15-16 Years to kill a Demonic Lord who had 4,000 kills. It only died from one wound a head gash.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 12:11:12 pm »

Dwarves die of old age somewhere between the age of 150 and 170 years old. You can see this in the raws as the [MAXAGE:150:170] token, which states that the dwarf will die sometime after they turn 150, and is guaranteed to die by/on their 170th birthday.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 12:58:36 pm »

Dwarves die of old age somewhere between the age of 150 and 170 years old. You can see this in the raws as the [MAXAGE:150:170] token, which states that the dwarf will die sometime after they turn 150, and is guaranteed to die by/on their 170th birthday.

Yeah, that was the token I remembered when I was fiddling with stuff. But, my question was, how old were the dwarves in that screenshot?

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 01:39:06 pm »

Yeah, that was the token I remembered when I was fiddling with stuff. But, my question was, how old were the dwarves in that screenshot?

Id was 161, Imush was 151, and Mosus was 166. So, those ranges check out quite nicely.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 04:05:31 pm »

Rootmanors lasted 10 years, even became mountainhome, but I got bored and unleashed the clowns.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 04:13:34 pm »

Daggerdepths went 30 years before boredom crept in. FPS was still good thanks to maintaining a low population but I was just running out of things to do...

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 12:02:18 pm »

Daggerdepths went 30 years before boredom crept in. FPS was still good thanks to maintaining a low population but I was just running out of things to do...
How did you maintain it?  through the RAWs or through more dorfy means? ;)
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 01:30:22 pm »

How did you maintain it?  through the RAWs or through more dorfy means? ;)

No dwarfy methods, just population caps...

I am shamed.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 01:35:22 pm »

About 30 years. Killed all forgotten beasts that showed up (about 30). Released the hoards of hell and killed them all. Then abandoned fort. Was Civ Forge mod. Liked the huge supply of very deadly crossbow bolts I made from incendium, tempestium, glacium, void crystal, blood crystal, etc.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Pages: 1 [2]