Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Retire Wounded Soldiers?  (Read 1784 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Retire Wounded Soldiers?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 07:25:28 am »

Depending on the skills they have, and what they lost, I sometimes assign more training and less combat duties, or if they're having trouble walking/standing, they'll go into the standing guards, which are Marksdwarves in positions on the walls. Ability to move doesn't matter if all you're doing is standing and shooting as fast as you can.

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 08:37:17 am »

I mostly dislike withdrawing them from military service because I imagine it would quite a depressing thing for them to go through. Years of dedication to their combat skills, only to be shoved aside by a new recruit because they failed to dodge that one arrow from a bowgoblin.

They always seem so happy right after getting back from a good battle. That innocent, childlike amusement they get from taking joy in slaughter, I don't have the heart to take that away from them.

One arrow is all it ever takes...

I tend to retire my military after they obtain 100-200 kills (even the perfectly good ones). They then either train the new recruits, or sit around drinking their well-earned ale all day. Should my standing army be defeated however, the veterans once again take up arms to defend their home.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 08:59:09 am »

Most of the military I have are dead. Zalisiden has been hit seriously hard by four forgotten beasts, of which two had poisonous blood, a massive siege, several ambushes, rampaging troglodytes... By the time you read this, with the death of Thob Delightcrystals the Mournful Tragedy of Tours the defense of Zalisiden falls to four dwarves.

Zaneg Meetingcrypts the Blockaded Recluse of Justice- seriously wounded but somehow manages to wield a crutch, two swords and a shield all in one hand. Zaneg's injuries:

• Rotten left foot
  • Rotten stomach
  • No right leg
  • No right hand
  • Dented head
  • Paralysed left foot
  • Paralysed left hand

She was only briefly retired until she got up to Legendary in Crutchwalking.

A severely cut open but otherwise healthy axedwarf is the second in command.
A crippled marksdwarf is the third.
A crippled recruit is the fourth.

Together though, they seem to be able to run off a lot of things. Zaneg may be the fastest, but she wasn't fast enough to save Mistem Kolison's (the Bone Doctor who had already lost a baby to a troggy) baby from Goblin Snatchers- blasted things. I mean, she dealt with an ambush and was on her way to deal with a forgotten beast by the name of Simo Spraygills the Moistness of Squids, but our Tame Baron (unicorn) had gored it to death with no injury...

I *WOULD* have grizzled veterans teaching, but they're all dead.

spacedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 11:41:03 am »

Why don't you just put them to training squad to teach new recruits?

Do different squads mingle with their training?  Or would I transfer recruits from a training squad to a combat squad once they have learned the ropes?  I like the idea.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 06:55:07 pm »

No, multiple squads will only train with members of their squad and will not train with other squads. It would be pretty epic if they did, but right now even if they share a barracks they don't.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 08:37:02 pm »

Do they gain skill from demonstrations given by members of other squads? So if Urist McSquadASoldier is demoing... 'Elf Decapitation 101', do they gain skill from it?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 08:42:28 pm »

Any other members in the squad who are "watching demonstration" while the swordsdwarf is demonstrating will indeed gain skill, however other military dwarves in the barracks that are not in the squad will receive no benefits from the demonstration, regardless of what they are doing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]