Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !Ghosts! XD  (Read 1564 times)

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!Ghosts! XD
« on: November 20, 2011, 12:13:08 pm »

I have little knowledge about em but I think I'm gonna try to keep them in my fort. The ghost fort!

I had some dwarves get the -police- job, one died and now there is a ghostly police roaming around!

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
Re: !Ghosts! XD
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:15:27 pm »

Sounds like a plan.

You might want to rethink it, though, if you get the ghost of someone who died while berserked. Just a thought.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:16:45 pm »

I both am pleased at the idea of your ghost fortress, and disappointed that this wasn't actually a thread about !!ghosts!! ...

:D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:44:47 pm »

I remember doing this in the sims. :D
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:46:31 pm »

I see a lot of dismemberement and possession induced tantrums in your dwarves future.  :)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 01:57:57 pm »

I both am pleased at the idea of your ghost fortress, and disappointed that this wasn't actually a thread about !!ghosts!! ...

:D

any true player would feel the same.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 03:10:24 pm »

I just thought of something ...

I would like to build a fortress that's divided. One area where dwarves live, one area where a tribe of olmmen or something similar lives .. and one area that houses the dead and where ghosts roam.

Building three forts is easy.
Befriending a whole tribe of olmmen is tricky and probably needs lots of pets being sacrificed. Herding them into their own wing of the fortress isn't too tricky but preventing them from leaving it is another story.
Making the necropolis is really difficult. Unless I'm mistaken I don't just need to dump the corpses down there but the dwarves actually have to DIE down there as well? I'd need to put drowning chambers and jails and hospitals down there just so chained tantrumers can kill themselves and infection patients die in the beds and such ...
I have an art blog now.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 03:13:45 pm »

Don't forget to check the ghosts' descriptions to see if they're the violent sort.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 05:40:22 pm »

I thought this was a thread about !!ghosts!! not ghosts :P

But yeah, make sure they aren't hostile.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 06:53:31 pm »

I just thought of something ...

I would like to build a fortress that's divided. One area where dwarves live, one area where a tribe of olmmen or something similar lives .. and one area that houses the dead and where ghosts roam.

Building three forts is easy.
Befriending a whole tribe of olmmen is tricky and probably needs lots of pets being sacrificed. Herding them into their own wing of the fortress isn't too tricky but preventing them from leaving it is another story.
Making the necropolis is really difficult. Unless I'm mistaken I don't just need to dump the corpses down there but the dwarves actually have to DIE down there as well? I'd need to put drowning chambers and jails and hospitals down there just so chained tantrumers can kill themselves and infection patients die in the beds and such ...

Out of curiosity, how do you think you would go about keeping the ghosts in their part of the fort?

Also, I thought someone had found a way to light ghosts on fire. I was disappointed. :(
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 07:17:11 pm »

The ghosts will roam everywhere in your fort. You're going to need a lot of booze, "happy" places and brain bleach or else your dwarves will be very, VERY, VERY unhappy.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 07:31:18 pm »

Out of curiosity, how do you think you would go about keeping the ghosts in their part of the fort?

I have absolutely no idea. Maybe build the necropolis, have everyone live there, seal it off from the rest of the world, let everyone die in there and HOPE that they will be content floating around their old pals corpses rather than haunting the immigrants who settled outside and never had any contact with them.

... this isn't going to work, is it?
I have an art blog now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 07:36:28 pm »

I have absolutely no idea. Maybe build the necropolis, have everyone live there, seal it off from the rest of the world, let everyone die in there and HOPE that they will be content floating around their old pals corpses rather than haunting the immigrants who settled outside and never had any contact with them.

Nope, I've seen migrants die on the tile they spawned, and their ghost spawned inside a fortress, which they'd never even touched before, haunting dwarves they never even saw.

Derp12

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 07:37:19 pm »

My one fort has a "mascot" ghost wandering about.  Caravan guard who got melted in a magma pit and was thus unburiable and also cannot be identified and settled with a slab (known bug).  So he has a tomb (which can be assigned) and I take extra steps to keep an eye on morale by seeing who he chooses to follow around and haunt.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 07:48:20 pm »

Lol - it might work, as long as you only have forlorn types. You'd have to make sure you kept your dwarves happy before they met with sudden, untimely deaths... And then build a new fort on a different part of the embark.

Yeah, I'm gonna bet it's not going to work, though I could be wrong.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand