Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves wont go down stairs... :( Still unanswered  (Read 2954 times)

ElGourdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves wont go down stairs... :( Still unanswered
« on: November 17, 2011, 06:19:24 pm »

I will freely admit that I am fairly new to this game, first time playing actually, so I finally managed to build those damned stairs even with all those monkeys running around with their beady eyes... Then I use Shift+< to go down a level and tell the dwarfs to excavate a cavern down there but they wont go down the stairs and do it, can anyone help I must be missing somthing. I have 3 two-way stairs there and 2 down stairs but still nothing... Please help.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:29:19 pm by ElGourdo »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves wont go down stairs... :(
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 06:20:27 pm »

Should go up to DF Gameplay Questions.

Also, did you put some stairs beneath those that you made? Because dwarves cannot simply descend into an empty tile.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 06:21:21 pm »

^That, they'll give you better advise

Anyway, you need to excavate an up staircase under any down staircase you build to connect the two levels.

ElGourdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 06:21:45 pm »

Yes, sorry I just relised that this is in the wrong spot.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:22:11 pm »

Don't worry, there's a Move Thread button for just this.

ElGourdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:23:28 pm »

Where would the move button be?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:24:39 pm »

Lower left corner. Right beside Lock Topic.

Oh hey you figured it out already.

ElGourdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 06:25:25 pm »

Yeah, thanks.

@Virex, I have a two way stair that is supposed to do that right? plus as I said my dwarves wont go down to build the up stair in the first place...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:27:05 pm by ElGourdo »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Dwarves wont go down stairs... :( Still unanswered
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 06:36:21 pm »

You have a down-stair that they can reach, and a solid rock layer beneath it, right?  Designate a up/down or an up stair to be dug out immediately beneath the down stair.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 06:42:29 pm »

I will freely admit that I am fairly new to this game, first time playing actually, so I finally managed to build those damned stairs even with all those monkeys running around with their beady eyes... Then I use Shift+< to go down a level and tell the dwarfs to excavate a cavern down there but they wont go down the stairs and do it, can anyone help I must be missing somthing. I have 3 two-way stairs there and 2 down stairs but still nothing... Please help.

3 two-way stairs and 2 down stairs? You may have disconnected your staircases by accident if I'm interpreting it right.

A staircase on any z-level has to be connected to a corresponding staircase on the appropriate adjacent z-level to work; the two-way staircases will work as both up and down stairs in the same tile.

So, in pictoral format;

>
X
X
< Accessible

>
X
X
X Accessible

>
X
X
> Not accessible (no 'up' stair on this level to connect)

Think I did something similar to this on my first-ever fort, stranding half my dwarves and half my resources until I figured out what I'd done.

Hmm... oh, also, rereading your post, make sure your miner hasn't gone on break - if the designated area is accessible you'll still need a willing and able (or, at least, Mining-enabled and pick-equipped) dwarf to carry out the order.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 06:44:10 pm »

You say 'two-way' stairs. I assume you mean up/down stairs? That's great, but you then need a stair below that to connect to it. You have built half of a stairway.

On the top level, you have a hole with some steps going down into the dirt. On the level beneath that, you have solid rock. You need to designate UP stairs on the level below the up/down stairs (or another up/down stair beneath it) so the dwarves can access the lower level.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Stairs

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 03:23:18 am »

Channel out a Donut, then drop a level and channel out a hallway to a staircase, keep going down.  Once ya hit stone, go back to surface and build above ground stairs, right above your staircase, then expand around it. 

+1 level, . represents air.
.X.

Top, ya need a stone or wood to build that X, _ represents green surface.
___
_X_
___

Channel, 1 down.  Build donut channel from surface, then pop the middle out with an up/down stair.

>>>
>X>
>>>

Keep going down, 2 levels down, etc... til ya hit stone.  = represents black unknown.  Then go back to surface and build up, with b>C>x.

===
=X=
===

Since ya can build up/down stairs with wood, I do next to my wagon.  And can get 3 stories high, right off the bat.  If ya embark with a board, ya can start down, immediately, with up/down stairs made out of wood.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.