Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bridge question  (Read 397 times)

rolk112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bridge question
« on: November 15, 2011, 12:22:59 am »

just a quick question, can i use a bridge to block a doorway like the way a door does? im making a trap room for goblins and i need something i can seal once they r in it
This is DF.  The concept 'good idea' and the concept 'safe' do not belong together in the same sentence.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: bridge question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 12:50:27 am »

If you build it to raise in a specific direction, yes. If it's to be a 1 tile bridge, any direction will do, though it will be slower than a door. The only advantage to using a bridge is that if you raise it away from the folks you're keeping out, building destroyers can't tear it down.

If you're just looking to seal goblins in a room, just put up a door and forbid it once they're in, or use a floodgate.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:14:44 am »

just put up a door and forbid it once they're in, or use a floodgate.

Unless they have to pass through the door... then it becomes ''Taken by Invaders'' and cannot be locked, aye?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:21:54 am »

just a quick question, can i use a bridge to block a doorway like the way a door does? im making a trap room for goblins and i need something i can seal once they r in it
You can, and indeed I consider it the superior option, due to it being immune to building destroyers.  Just make sure you have it set to raise in the right direction, and not retract.  Also be sure to put the level deeper in the fort, you don't want your level puller getting scared off by the same goblins you wish to trap.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

rolk112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 02:27:31 pm »

alright thanks :D
This is DF.  The concept 'good idea' and the concept 'safe' do not belong together in the same sentence.