Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archipelago and micro islands  (Read 940 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Archipelago and micro islands
« on: November 19, 2011, 06:40:22 am »

Coast lines should sometimes have bunch of small islands close to the mainland in a such way that you can have these islands AND some mainland in normal sized embark(allow merchants and sieges). This would allow island lovers such as myself to build Venice type of fortresses.
It would be even more awesome once boats are added

quick drawn examplehttp://postimage.org/image/7rkhr29ql/

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:48:10 am by dwarfhoplite »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Archipelago
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:52:27 am »

I'm not sure about being all accesible in a "normal-sized embark," but a. I agree that island chains would be an interesting idea and b. I usually play 3X3.

Until stuff like this is added, just play on areas where a few small rivers meet a big one. Gen a large world and up the number of rivers, it never fails. Once I had my embark group start on the frozen surface of a river that covered most of the embark area...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 08:40:53 am »

Support this. Its a great idea. Though how is it any different to have a siege or a merchant?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:43:55 am »

I just meant that you wouldnt be completely isolated like now if you want to embark on an island

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 08:45:15 am »

oh. Yeah. True.  :P

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:06:04 am »

Maybe soem civs should be able to cross "shallow waters" even without boats.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 10:23:25 am »

How? They'd have to be pretty short passages...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 05:37:50 pm »

Only using "boats" when the "player can't see" them.
Or using them only in legends.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 10:36:12 pm »

I like this. I'm playing on an island (two joined rivers), and it's something different. Depot access is a little tricky since if the bridge is up when merchants come they'll approach from one of the land areas completely unconnected to the fortress and I'm pretty sure ambushes are spawning in inaccessible locations too since the map started frozen and was forced to remain thawed by switching temperature off in the first summer.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.