Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (probably) new suggestion  (Read 1530 times)

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
(probably) new suggestion
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:14:07 am »

I haven't seen this suggestion before, but it just occurred to me when I was building a cistern that had constructed floors and therefore could use the standard build wall/suspend construction work-around to force a dorf to build from a certain direction. Why not have the option to direct your dorf to construct/deconstruct from a certain angle? This would prevent him from trapping himself.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: (probably) new suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 01:27:42 am »

I haven't seen this suggestion before, but it just occurred to me when I was building a cistern that had constructed floors and therefore could use the standard build wall/suspend construction work-around to force a dorf to build from a certain direction. Why not have the option to direct your dorf to construct/deconstruct from a certain angle? This would prevent him from trapping himself.
It would be excellent if this is possible.
It annoys me when my dwaves starve themselves behind walls.

GeorgiaPeanuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 01:38:49 am »

Can't dorf just look at his next job in his queue and make sure that if he completes his building that he will be in a spot where he can do his next job.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 04:46:32 pm »

Footkerchief....

Are you the moderator?
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 04:52:23 pm »

Nope.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 04:57:24 pm »

Footkerchief....

Are you the moderator?

All regular forumites share the same obligation to help any newcomers.

Spoiler: Except... (click to show/hide)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 07:08:56 pm »

Footkerchief....

Are you the moderator?

All regular forumites share the same obligation to help any newcomers.

Spoiler: Except... (click to show/hide)

It's just that he is policing it so much.

I could make his life easier by making a library of suggestions, easier to search for stuff and more specific.  In fact, he's guiliting me into it.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 11:39:23 pm »

To be honest, he's likely to shoot that idea down as "posted before", too... ;)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 12:51:12 am »

It has been discussed before.  I think there might be a wiki page set up for it.  Part of the purpose of my spoiler "tags" (the use of which is itself searchable) is to serve as a starting point for a hypothetical suggestions index, but I'm afraid that people who don't take the time to use the forum's simple built-in search also won't take the time to look through an index.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 07:36:26 pm »

the forum's simple built-in search

A query isn't simple.  This sites in particular is difficult.  Search here has the screaming ignorance of not auto focusing the searchers topic into the current and/or correct topic subfield, from which he clicked search from within.  It's difficult, not simple and this thread makes a clear and precise example of why its not 'simple'.  Many posters don't have all day to scroll through pages of gibberish to find content within a post with a bad tag line.  "(probably) new suggestion," is probably a bad subject.  I know I don't have the time to hunt in poorly titled threads for material.

Sincerely,
Knutor
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:38:37 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 07:56:17 pm »

the forum's simple built-in search

A query isn't simple.  This sites in particular is difficult.  Search here has the screaming ignorance of not auto focusing the searchers topic into the current and/or correct topic subfield, from which he clicked search from within.  It's difficult, not simple and this thread makes a clear and precise example of why its not 'simple'.  Many posters don't have all day to scroll through pages of gibberish to find content within a post with a bad tag line.  "(probably) new suggestion," is probably a bad subject.  I know I don't have the time to hunt in poorly titled threads for material.

Sincerely,
Knutor

That is true.  So for this, I think I will start on an index of all categories so there will be no excuses.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 09:52:33 am »

Search here has the screaming ignorance of not auto focusing the searchers topic into the current and/or correct topic subfield, from which he clicked search from within.

If you click the "SEARCH" link in the toolbar, you get a forums-wide search.  If you use the search bar included on each page, you search the thread or subforum instead.  Not that hard.