Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quern vs Millstone?  (Read 13434 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quern vs Millstone?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 03:48:03 pm »

The aspect of milling that peeves me is the inselectability of the item to be milled. I want them to mill the dimple cups, but not the cave wheat destined for brewing. I know there are ways to do it, but not worth the micromanagement.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 04:25:56 pm »

but the micromanagement is the fun part.

Edit:
 I thought of ways to do the milling micromanagement easier. For myself that is, I know you already got it covered ... I love extravagant structures so building a windmill/millstone building is a must.
With a grate-fence enclosed stockpile that carries -only- the things I want to mill! and maybe a millers' quarters... it's right up my alley. You know? Only the dimple cups go in the stockpile and when I figure I got enough of them I lock the door and let the miller mill! Is he hungry? Too bad! is he thirsty? here's a well! I'm not letting you out before work is finished because you are NOT milling anything except dimple cups!

Since the wiki page doesn't state much about gear noise I ran a few tests. Dwarves don't seem to mind windmills or gear assemblies at all. Sleeping right below a windmill and next to the millstone isn't a problem! :) Doesn't that sound awesome?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 05:13:47 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 12:55:29 am »

The aspect of milling that peeves me is the inselectability of the item to be milled. I want them to mill the dimple cups, but not the cave wheat destined for brewing. I know there are ways to do it, but not worth the micromanagement.

In response to this thread, I created a small mod that allows you to select a specific plant to be milled:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96679.0

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 01:35:57 am »

Heh - thanks but I just got that idea a while ago, tried, and then abandoned it after hitting the stack size obstacle. I dunno what it is, but it just doesn't feel right... That mill reaction mod might be helpful for others, though.

Milling's ratio of micromanagement time to profit is too high to justify, especially when I'm sitting on top of gold veins with a legendary metal crafter.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 10:19:51 am »

Milling's ratio of micromanagement time to profit is too high to justify, especially when I'm sitting on top of gold veins with a legendary metal crafter.

It only requires micromanagement if your economy uses dye but not food (or vice versa). Then you need to set up a custom stockpile near your mill/quern to only accept certain plants. But if your economy uses both (for example a "bagriculture" industry) then use the manager to make 30 bags and mill 30 plants, or set the jobs on repeat at the workshops.

Dyed and decorated clothing/bags are ridiculously profitable (especially considering they consume 100% renewable resources) and lavish meals are just stoopid (over $20,000 for a sugar roast). Also milling requires no skill and is not moodable, so it's a good way to put "useless" dwarves to work.

Of course masterwork gold crafts are a wonderful industry as well, I am not criticizing your methods at all. :)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 12:34:08 pm »

I know there are ways to do it, but not worth the micromanagement.
Usually I order a brewing spree and then mill what's left over. It's not too fiddly, and the odd brewable that ends up being milled can always go to the kitchens later. Stuff gets milled faster than produce new millables, so the process is self-limiting.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 10:09:54 pm »

Heh - thanks but I just got that idea a while ago, tried, and then abandoned it after hitting the stack size obstacle. I dunno what it is, but it just doesn't feel right... That mill reaction mod might be helpful for others, though.

I just fixed the stack size problem with the help of another modder. Unless you prevent it, the bag interferes with product amount. Now, you get 1 flour/sugar/dye and 1 seed per item in the stack.
Pages: 1 [2]