Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Carnivores please answer.  (Read 1739 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Carnivores please answer.
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 01:16:47 pm »

That sounds pretty much like it.

I wonder who thought of this. The description seems to revel in the cruelty .. it is a gastronomical perversion cooked up by a very odd mind. A mealtime favorite of Marquis de Sade perhaps?

Strangely intriguing.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 01:20:33 pm »

Lobsters die the moment they hit the boiling water, if it makes you feel any better, and they are about the same level of evolution as cockroaches which odds are people don't have an issue with killing.

That aside, yes it makes no sense that you cannot butcher an animal that has just died, even if its not the ideal today in the twelfth century in a hole in the wall where a bunch of half naked creatures are starving to death I doubt they'd be put off, heck I imagine they'd eat it raw.

That said (umm.. Again..) in the current version you cannot butcher a dead animal so if you have no other plans for them you should just butcher them, get the food, bone, skull and leather.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 02:31:00 pm »

A bug? In real life, do people butcher dead animals for eating? I hope not *sick*
Now, if you are a farmer and your cow died from colliding with an obstacle (hit by a car or something) you will probably butcher the corpse and salt the meat ASAP. In fact, I've read and heard of such cases and it's not like they buried the corpse or burned it unless it was somehow spoiled.

If the cow died from disease, however, then yeah maybe it's not a good idea to make steaks from it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:33:04 pm by Murphy »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 07:17:54 pm »

The problem with butchering roadkill, I think, is that the intestines could rupture. Bladders and glands and all kinds of shit (literally and figuratively) could infect the meat.

You'd think that cooking could help against this.. but unless you cook the whole cow right after butchering there's no telling what state the meat will be in once you take it out of the fridge/freezer ... no matter how thoroughly you've cleaned/salted it.

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoilered because I don't actually have any facts to go on I'm just pulling this out of my ass.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:40:23 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 05:37:29 am »

Unfortunately, tame animals that die of any cause other than being slaughtered at the butchers workshop itself can't be butchered.

Just want to point out that this is, in fact, a bug, and with any luck it will be fixed at some point in the future.
A bug? In real life, do people butcher dead animals for eating? I hope not *sick*

Or am I thinking "Interview with the Vampire"?  :-\
You were thinking we cut them up while they were still alive?
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.
Pages: 1 [2]