Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: worldgen  (Read 394 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
worldgen
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:29:11 am »

alright, I'm using the world gen, allowing elevation between 1 and 400, quite high differences allowed, further no actual requirements, everything free, reasonable settings

My last 20 attempts ended with a pretty much shrublands only, therfore no dwarf civ to start from in DF

erosion too high, too much metals in the ground killing the trees? what am i missing. I'm too lazy to post the exact settings, and i did ask for the log of "problems", but nothing so far

previous attempts with almost the same settings had a good result.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: worldgen
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:45:41 am »

It might be that your erosion is too high. It's impossible to give much more then that without seeing your actual settings however.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:53:53 am »

Turn on the 'Playable Civilization Required' option, this will make it throw out any worlds created without dwarves.

How many years are you letting the world progress after generation?  The dwarves may be dying out.  In that case, try reducing the number of years, or increasing the number of civilizations created to give more chances for one to stick.

If that isn't the problem, I imagine it has something to do with no suitable biomes being generated for dwarves.  They need to have a mountain biome to set up a civilization, and the requirements for mountains are an elevation greater than 300.  It may also be that the mountain areas that are created are too small to host a dwarf civilization.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 11:12:59 am »

alright, I'm using the world gen, allowing elevation between 1 and 400, quite high differences allowed, further no actual requirements, everything free, reasonable settings

My last 20 attempts ended with a pretty much shrublands only, therfore no dwarf civ to start from in DF

erosion too high, too much metals in the ground killing the trees? what am i missing. I'm too lazy to post the exact settings, and i did ask for the log of "problems", but nothing so far

previous attempts with almost the same settings had a good result.
I'd say yes, erosion too high, if you suspect that might be the case. High erosion can make your mountains wear away into nothingness even as you watch. Metals in the ground can't kill the trees, as the amount of soil placed is related to the biome the game generates for each area, but somehow I doubt you were serious about that one.

Try lowering the erosion. Then, if that doesn't work, ramp up the mountains just a bit (be careful about this one, it can lead to rejections of death). I would suggest setting the elevation mesh size to 2x2 (or higher if you want blockier, less random mountains), then setting the following values to 1,1,1,1,3 or something similar - it's the last number in the sequence you want to raise. This will make the generator more likely to place higher terrain.

If that doesn't work, it's also possible you have the XY variance for elevation too low. Raising it a few hundred (or less, if you're generating a smaller world) might help.

If all else fails, there's always magmawiki. :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 01:30:59 pm »

mwahahaha, i had switched max and minimum rainfall around

now you know what happens if minimum rainfall is 100 and max is 0, all civs die from dehydration and the world is run over by undead
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 01:34:30 pm »

Thats....... a good thing. :)
This is a blank sig.