Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the Lazy Newb Pack the true Df experience?  (Read 1569 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is the Lazy Newb Pack the true Df experience?
« on: November 13, 2011, 12:46:12 pm »

If you use the default settings? (200 population, invasions aquifers etc etc all on)

What, if anything, am i missing by using it with the default settings instead of getting the "normal" version, if you will?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Lazy Newb Pack the true Df experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:54:27 pm »

Nothing, as near as I can tell.

For my part, I initially avoided the LNP simply because I assumed it dumbed the game down somehow, but I recently picked it up because I heard it had a utility for changing the tilesets of saved games (incredibly useful if you want to use the default tileset while playing a save genned with a modified tileset, as many of them completely change tile ids and don't look right). It makes altering your population cap really easy, as well as removing aquifers, disabling invasions, launching utilities, etc. It doesn't take anything away, it merely provides the game plus a bunch of extras in a neat, easy-to-use package.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 02:36:26 pm »

As long as you do not change anything, it is the original DF.
It just makes calibrating, (as mentioned before) using tilesets, and using the utilities (Dwarf Therapist ftw) sooo much easier.
I use it mainly because I downloaded it when I started DF (I think it was on the starterguide wiki page) and still use it because a) I quite like playing without aquifers/ having no sieges sometimes (default is on ofc.), and b) because I am too lazy to make a direct desktop shortcut for the original DF.exe
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 03:11:08 pm »

Honestly I think the added utilities complete the game, since so much fan-work has gone into them.  Soundsense, TheRapist, Quickfort, they all feel like they would be part of DF it was a commercial funded game.  Maybe even better than if comercial funded.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 03:44:58 pm »

dint get it cause my virus scanner warned for a worm
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »

yup, full of viruses. god, we have to tell the others!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:11:11 pm »

lol, my virus scanner killed a bunch of things in the dfhack file, I think even the vanilla ability to make prompts is borderline illegal as a keystroke recorder.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 04:43:01 pm »

if your using AV, if you go into virus valut and then restore the files, it should kill any further attempts at deleteing the hack utilities. Since under normal circumstances their just classed as freindly trojans.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 07:36:18 am »

And now i'm just used to the old layout, shame on me
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 08:00:04 am »

Even windows has more of a snake oil problem than a virus problem these days. The false positives here sound very typical: "The average idiot user doesn't do this, probably malware".

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 08:03:13 am »

btw, the therapist for me doesnt show beekeeping or waxworking. The skills are listed and the workers show them if i hover over it, but they dont show up in the repsective squares