Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to keep them inside?  (Read 1865 times)

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
How to keep them inside?
« on: November 19, 2011, 07:14:54 pm »

How do you go about keeping your dwarves inside? I use traps to defend my fort from goblins, but it seems as if every time an invasion happens, two thirds of my population is outdoors. All of my industries (except woodcutting) are underground, connected, as there is only one entrance to my fortress.

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep them inside?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:18:20 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Burrow

Press W to bring up the burrow menu (Set up burrows here), then M (for military) and then A (For alerts) set civs to alert there they will only travel in the burrow you set them.

Tip: make all your indoors areas 1 burrow and call it Pull back or something for times of sieges
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 08:18:56 pm »

That, or forbid things outside, even if it is just for the siege. If you haven't set a meeting area dwarves will stand around your wagon, or just randomly outside. If you are using cage traps, forbid the cages. If it's weapons, you can go to (o)rders, (F)orbid (I think) you can make dead enemies get forbidden, and even your own dwarves' bodies, and remains from outside. Not sure how much you know already, so I told you most of what I know! :P

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:30:30 pm »

Press W to bring up the burrow menu (Set up burrows here), then M (for military) and then A (For alerts) set civs to alert there they will only travel in the burrow you set them.

Tip: make all your indoors areas 1 burrow and call it Pull back or something for times of sieges
The only problem is that the goblin attacks in question will typically happen while I'm still expanding, so I'll have to constantly update the burrow.
That, or forbid things outside, even if it is just for the siege. If you haven't set a meeting area dwarves will stand around your wagon, or just randomly outside. If you are using cage traps, forbid the cages. If it's weapons, you can go to (o)rders, (F)orbid (I think) you can make dead enemies get forbidden, and even your own dwarves' bodies, and remains from outside. Not sure how much you know already, so I told you most of what I know! :P
My problem isn't that the go outside to get stuff, it's that they are outside the first place. I already knew about the meeting area thing, but thanks anyway.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:03:01 pm »

I like to use curtain walls to enclose parts of the surface where I need dwarves to be able to go, with lever-controlled airlocks to let diplomats, traders, and soldiers in and out.  That way the stupid dwarves can't go outside the safe areas even if they want to.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 09:34:46 pm »

I just keep everything indoors. The outside is forbidden, the caverns are my woodcutting and herbalism industries.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »

Yeah, setting the civilian alert level to include a defined burrow will attempt to enforce the dwarves staying inside that burrow.  it isn't perfect, but its better than having them wander on a break outside randomly to, say, the opening in the outer wall so they can poke a stick at a passing badger ...  :-\
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 10:25:01 pm »

The only problem is that the goblin attacks in question will typically happen while I'm still expanding, so I'll have to constantly update the burrow.

When you set the burrows, include the walls and a little of the undiscovered area. Digging will automatically expand the burrow with it, on that level.

Except when it doesn't. It's relatively rare, but for some reason it doesn't always expand for me when the dwarves are digging but aren't confined to the burrow.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 10:44:14 pm »

When you set the burrows, include the walls and a little of the undiscovered area. Digging will automatically expand the burrow with it, on that level.

Except when it doesn't. It's relatively rare, but for some reason it doesn't always expand for me when the dwarves are digging but aren't confined to the burrow.

Digging never automatically extends burrows.  What happens is that you designate an area that includes some of the undug rock.  The undug areas show as not being part of the burrow, even though they are, because they're still undug.  When you dig them out, their burrow designation becomes visible.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 01:12:17 pm »

Digging never automatically extends burrows.  What happens is that you designate an area that includes some of the undug rock.  The undug areas show as not being part of the burrow, even though they are, because they're still undug.  When you dig them out, their burrow designation becomes visible.
I've done some testing on this and can confirm.  Burrows only "expand" if you previously marked the undug area as part of the burrow.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 01:23:43 pm »

There's another way ?!?! ... I assumed this was the accepted method?
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 01:55:38 pm »

I have large meeting hall bellow ground and everyone has bedroom, no one ever attempts to go outside. Or maybe I never noticed that due to 60 military dwarves training up there, but usually all I get is cancellation spam caused by goblinite or squadmates of goblin caught in cage.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science