Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water in the caverns  (Read 2020 times)

mathi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water in the caverns
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:41:31 am »

I observed in my fortress that it is impossible to drain the caverns into fortifications at the edge of the map on a lower level. It seems that the water is regenerating in the lake itself where it borders the map. Since I couldn't find a description of this behavior on the wiki or the forums I was wondering if someone also noticed this.

It might be useful for people who need flowing water on a map without aquifer or river.

Luckily for me the pointless and difficult project of draining the caverns has just become more difficult! I am planning something with a lot of automated pumps, fast floodgate installation and wet dwarves. Maybe I'll dedicate a team of dwarves to this operation, and teach them how to swim first.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
Re: Water in the caverns
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 08:45:04 am »

If water is at th edge of the map, in becomes an infinite water source.

I answered  question for the first time! :D

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:02:51 am »

I observed in my fortress that it is impossible to drain the caverns into fortifications at the edge of the map on a lower level. It seems that the water is regenerating in the lake itself where it borders the map. Since I couldn't find a description of this behavior on the wiki or the forums I was wondering if someone also noticed this.
I always considered water on the map edges to work like a Dirichlet boundary condition, i.e. the water level on the edge is constant... 

Luckily for me the pointless and difficult project of draining the caverns has just become more difficult! I am planning something with a lot of automated pumps, fast floodgate installation and wet dwarves. Maybe I'll dedicate a team of dwarves to this operation, and teach them how to swim first.
Depending on the cavern geometry, it's probably easiest to simply do a controlled cave-in to insta-floodgate the edge of the lake.  Then just build pumps on the new wall and pump the water onto the map edge. 

mathi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:13:27 am »

Thanks for the tip drago55577.

Maybe I'll have to use a 'controlled' cave-in along the way, but for now I am going to make a needlessly complex system with lots of wooden structures, dysfunctional water wheels, abandoned pumps and permanently powered axles.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 09:48:59 am »

some way of damming flows and such would be nice
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:52:18 am »

Yea...like ice rays and controllable magma turrets.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums.