Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to remove a world? ::edit:: now a journal of my fort  (Read 930 times)

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to remove a world? ::edit:: now a journal of my fort
« on: November 12, 2011, 03:40:04 pm »

How do I remove a generated world? My world list is getting rather crowded.

On a related note, anyone know any good seeds or para lists for a completely evil/terrifying world with forested mountains and lots of minerals?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:45:09 am by flamewolf393 »

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: how to remove a world?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 03:41:33 pm »

Just delete the region folder.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 03:53:14 pm »

Dwarf fortress folder > Data > Save > (delete whatever regions you don't want here)
That ought to help that problem.

I don't think it's possible to have "forested mountains", and it's definitely not possible to make a world completely evil, but you can lower the Desired Good Square Count values and raise the Desired Evil Square Count values pretty high without any problems.

Making no grasslands/plains would cause a lot of rejections, as Humans need flat terrain to spawn their cities. No neutral (non-evil, non-good) territory will prevent Dwarven Civilizations from forming, which especially bad. You might have to settle for mostly evil and mountainous/forested.

Also, does temperature/rainfall/drainage hold any importance? Would you like it all ice or all jungle, or a specific mixture, or does that not matter?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 03:59:15 pm »

The biggest thing is I want something that would normally be easy to play with mountains bordering forest so I can get both at embark, and lots of minerals/metal. But then I want it to become incredibly dangerous because of the creatures that live there. So far I have tried embarking on 3 different terrifying biomes through basic generation, but have yet to see anything more dangerous than a dark gnome.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 04:09:13 pm »

The biggest thing is I want something that would normally be easy to play with mountains bordering forest so I can get both at embark, and lots of minerals/metal. But then I want it to become incredibly dangerous because of the creatures that live there. So far I have tried embarking on 3 different terrifying biomes through basic generation, but have yet to see anything more dangerous than a dark gnome.
Eh, I know how that goes. Snaketown, one of my recent ones (which I finally let starve to death), was supposed to be deadly, but I didn't get anything more than polar bears and zombie musk oxen on occasion.
Minerals are easy. You just set the Mineral Scarcity lower, but you have to be careful. Setting it to 0 will give you so much metal and so many gems that the game won't be fun anymore - though it might be a bit hard to find enough stone, especially if you're wanting to make a megaproject. (Though it can be horribly tempting to tear up the walls of your dining hall for 5-10 more diamonds)

What size map do you want? *rubs hands together semi-evilly* I'll see if I can cook something up for you.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 04:10:47 pm »

The map size does not matter since I will only be using a 4x4 area of it. I would like to have lots of volcanos if possible.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 04:16:58 pm »

Excess volcanoes make it incredibly interesting to plan out. I'll set you up for a medium sized map - map size also affects megabeast and titan count, and we don't want you to have too few of those.  ;D

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 04:50:14 pm »

I hate double-posting...

Anyway, here it is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Copy and paste that at the end of the Data > Init > World_gen.txt file and save it.

Here's a complementary screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:56:48 pm by Talvieno »

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 12:24:17 am »

Am starting it up now.

In the very center is the Virtuous Point (mirthful) surrounded by the truthful forest and the strangled forest (wild), which is then surrounded by The Morass of Leeches, the prairie of burying, The rancorous points, and the hungry barbs (all just haunted). Then in the bottom right corner is The Point of Infecting surrounded by the Tundra of bile. In the bottom left: The ice of starvations and the bloated winter. In the top left: The point of eels and The withered jungle. In the top right: The scalded Towers and the Tragic Jungle. All four corners are terrifying. So its a cool layout with good in the center and getting more evil towards the corners.

Will let you know how it goes.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 12:43:12 am »

As a thanks to the guy that made the world seed for me, I am going to give a little bit of a running update of how I do for at least the beginning. Since its no longer a gameplay question, mods feel free to move it where it should go.

Starting point: The hellish forests; heavily forested, warm, terrifying, shallow clay, very deep soil, aquifer (which I will be turning off), shallow metals, deep metals, flux stone. Unfortunately no mountains.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to remove a world? ::edit:: now a journal of my fort
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 12:54:54 am »

Starting party: 2 woodcutter/axedwarves; 2 herbalist/axedwarves (I prefer surface crops, and this lets me start with less food on embark); 2 miner/masons; 1 grower/brewer; pair of breedable wars dogs.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 01:07:26 am »

1st granite of 164;

We have arrived at the location for "Paddletheaters" (Oh gods that sounds like a company that could host boatmurdered, lol). It is a nasty place with dead and withered ground all around, yet still plenty of live trees and plants to be gathered, and numerous small pools of water that are hopefully safe to drink from.

It turns out that we are on a huge flatland that overlooks an ocean-side beach to the southeast. From my journey I know this to be a dangerous place so I command my dwarves to scurry for the beach and the semi-safety of the cliffs there. While the diggers start into the cliff sides, the others begin gathering up the copious amounts of driftwood to begin work on the walls that should keep us safe enough to build up our defenses.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 01:35:07 am »

2nd granite; We have the rooms dug into the hill and have a large stockpile of wood to plan our walls, so I decided to walk along the beach for a while to clear my head. While watching the fireflies dancing about I saw something that that made my heart sink into my stomach; off on the horizon was something I had hoped to never see. There wandering among the the decayed plants was a skeletal giant jaguar. I immediately rushed back to our base and ordered the walls to be top priority. Hopefully they will be done in time.

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 01:48:53 am »

6th granite
The walls were nearing completion when suddenly horror of horrors an great fish of naught but bone hauled itself onto shore and began chasing my friends about! I was glad to have brought along woodcutters that were also skilled in the art of battle as Adil rushed the beast and severed its head with one swing from his trusty axe. It seems that even the very water must be walled off and guarded!

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 02:17:43 am »

I have moved this thread the games and stories forum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=96351.0. Sorry to the mods for not thinking of this earlier. Feel free to delete the last few posts about the story itself.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:30:42 am by flamewolf393 »