Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yak Asexual reproduction O.o?  (Read 1647 times)

Baron OhShi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yak Asexual reproduction O.o?
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:39:31 pm »

So I had a female Yak and a few other loose animals in the Genesis mod. And just as I was about to send the lone yak to the slaughter she gives birth to a baby. This is good of course, but it raises the question of HOW since there aren't any other Yaks in the area!

Rgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [RELIGION: JEWISH]
    • View Profile
Re: Yak Asexual reproduction O.o?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:44:34 pm »

Trader, yak wandering through the map(male, obviously), etc. It could have popped in for a single frame at a corner, impregnated yours, and popped out. Yaks are mysterious like that.
Rgamer likes dwarves for their industriousness. He dislikes small dogs for their annoying barking, enjoys a good run, and prefers to consume steak, potatoes, or apples whenever possible. He likes native silver, granite, marble, and ebony.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:48:39 pm »

So I had a female Yak and a few other loose animals in the Genesis mod. And just as I was about to send the lone yak to the slaughter she gives birth to a baby. This is good of course, but it raises the question of HOW since there aren't any other Yaks in the area!

Did "Yakity Sax" play anywhere nearby while you had that fortress actively running?
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 10:51:53 pm »

Indeed, as has been stated all creatures (so far as I know) in DF reproduce via clouds of spores.  They simply need to be in the same region for even a moment, they never have to be near each other and, in fact, and reproduce even if there is no physical way for them to reach one another.

In your case, as was mentioned, somebody (presumably a trader) showed up briefly with a yak and they shared a passionate congress, probably where your dwarves eat (which I assume is a dank pit somewhere).

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:09:33 am »

Spores, the reason ‼genetics science‼ is extremely difficult in DF.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:43:27 am »

YAK JESUS HATH COME.
You... You're about to weaponize chickens. You are my hero.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 02:33:34 pm »

worship.... him? hm, or her

well, let theology settle that
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 02:36:09 pm »

I vote for crucifiing that yak kid.
If it stands back up, rinse and repeat
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 02:06:50 pm »

I vote for crucifiing that yak kid.
If it stands back up, rinse and repeat
It would take three days for that, but even then, it'll disappear after another forty.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 02:10:20 pm »

A wild or trader yak would only need a single frame to pull a quicky, and hey presto bebeh yak

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 02:32:10 pm »

It could have popped in for a single frame at a corner, impregnated yours, and popped out. Yaks are mysterious like that.

Oh look, a new sig.
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.