Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave in announcements  (Read 829 times)

Grytorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave in announcements
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:50:56 pm »

Hi, I am a rather kind of new player and had an idea, but I need to ask some questions
1) Is their any way to turn off cave ins?
2) Do magma tubes refill with time
3) Can I build out into open air?

The reason why I am asking is I had the idea to build a lot of my fort around the edges of the magma tube, but it is rather difficult to do so because I have to unpause it so often. I already have a tunnel but I hadn't come up with the plan till now.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Cave in announcements
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 04:57:48 pm »

1) Yes. Go into [DF directory]\data\init\d_init.txt and change [CAVEINS:YES] to [CAVEINS:NO].*
2) Yes.
3) Yes.

*If your main issue with caveins is announcement spam, you could instead go into announcements.txt (in the same folder) and remove the :P:R from the cavern collapse announcement: [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R] -> [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D]
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Grytorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:02:47 pm »

Thankyou

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 05:20:54 pm »

I fear I know where this is going....
Keep up the good work
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Grytorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 08:01:13 pm »

Somewhere FUN and filled with giant cave spiders (Not !!FUN!! though, I plan on am getting rid of the magma. Although I seem to have lost a few dwarfs to a Giant Cave Spider)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:18:12 pm »

Somewhere FUN and filled with giant cave spiders (Not !!FUN!! though, I plan on am getting rid of the magma. Although I seem to have lost a few dwarfs to a Giant Cave Spider)

This.

It warms your heart.  Especially the plan to get "rid of the magma"
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Grytorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:36:15 pm »

Sadly it comes back and kills the frame rate. But my method has safely drained seventeen layers.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 10:55:02 pm »

Based on some testing with a pump stack variant in a recent thread, the lag appears to mainly be with checking temperature changes as the magma enters/leaves new tiles.  Of course there may be other reasons the magma is causing you framerate issues, so my info may not actually be helpful. :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Grytorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 10:58:55 pm »

I'm not moving the magma I'm getting rid of it. I dug a tunnel from a stream to my magma pool.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 11:13:15 pm »

The magma is moving.  As tiles change state between warm (next to magma) and cool (not next to magma) the game has to recalculate temps to see if it melts/freezes.  Those calculations cause the lag.  Well, from what I've seen folks post it is the cause, anyway.  A good test is to turn off temperature and see if your framerates improve.  Of course there are probably drawbacks to this I'm not aware of ... :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"