Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead planes  (Read 882 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Dead planes
« on: November 14, 2011, 03:10:58 pm »

Since alternate planes are going to be added, there could be dead planes. A dead plane would be a dead world. They would have different reasons as to why they "died". they might still even contain some rare inhabitants but society as a whole no longer exists there. They would have a short history that might describe their fall. I'l give you a few examples.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what does this ad to the game? Well, instantly you get a whole other plane to visit. Its filled with tons of procedurally genned creatures and trees. It might even have a half dead settlement somewhere. This also means that there is a guy named Halamar who is trapped somewhere. This might imply that someone or something might try and free him. We also learned that there is this Plane Demon named Garancha who escaped somwhere. The world might have to  be smaller. Like... A LOT smaller that usual worlds, but it would  still be fun to explore. It also means that the same fate that befell this world might occur in yours(Ie,the secret that Halamar used might still be out there).

Just an aesthetic thing. Nobody's suggested this so... DERPA HERPA DERP!  :P

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead planes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:44:12 pm »

An interesting idea, but I think that we should get the afterlife done first. 

And I think that this is just getting better and better.  What are we going to have?

Earth + Carnival, heaven?, planes, afterlife, everything.

Minecraft, You can die XD  May we all praise the Toad.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:50:46 pm »

I support this idea. But I have to agree that the afterlife should be completed first.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:52:50 pm »

So what does this ad to the game? Well, instantly you get a whole other plane to visit. Its filled with tons of procedurally genned creatures and trees.

Yes but what does it add to the game that an entirely different plane doesn't?

You are adding essentially a plane that is empty (which is better for "World to World" planes. Where you simply just gen a apoc world).

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:44:21 am »

I support this idea. But I have to agree that the afterlife should be completed first.

Same. We'll be busy weaponizing Heaven, so that'll give him time to get these "dead worlds" coded in.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 06:49:44 am »

This make me remember of a old sci-fi TV serie.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 03:49:15 pm »

So what does this ad to the game? Well, instantly you get a whole other plane to visit. Its filled with tons of procedurally genned creatures and trees.

Yes but what does it add to the game that an entirely different plane doesn't?

You are adding essentially a plane that is empty (which is better for "World to World" planes. Where you simply just gen a apoc world).

Its not completely empty. It might be a dark and dead world but it can still have that one last settlement with a few people living there. Heck, it might have a postapocaliptic society. Mabe their world has few/bad/none underground plants so bringing them a plumphelmet would be saving the world from starvation.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 09:28:52 am »

Then it isn't a "Dead Plane" it is another world that is "Dead". So yeah better for "Game to game".

A plane needs a theme or purpose.

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 06:50:13 pm »

Then it isn't a "Dead Plane" it is another world that is "Dead". So yeah better for "Game to game".

A plane needs a theme or purpose.

Right.  "Planes" are either The Embodiment of an Archetype in Landscape Form, or they're Totally Weird Alternate Dimensions Where the Laws of Physics Work Differently.  Yeah?
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...