Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deactivate 'offer' when any caravan items are selected  (Read 511 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Deactivate 'offer' when any caravan items are selected
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:14:08 pm »

The game removes the 'offer' option when any foreign-made fortress goods are selected, so it should be easy enough to remove the option when any of the caravan's goods are selected.

I did do a search on this and found a matching topic, but it was from 2006 so I think it's okay to suggest it again.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: Deactivate 'offer' when any caravan items are selected
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:28:42 pm »

I could actually see this reducing the number of newcomers to the game that accidentally offer off their trade goods instead of trading. I like it.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 08:11:29 am »

I'm for Sutremaines suggestion.  As long as there are still ways to please foreign leaders.  As long as diplomacy and capital formation isn't hindered by its removal.  I understand the need to offer only locally grown crops and not (foreign) made things.  But I don't understand why my embark choices are considered (foreign).  Do you?  It is all very complex, and I wish I had a better explanation on the wiki to go from.  But in so much as reducing the frustration and aggravation levels on the players part, its worth changing.

I'd actually go one further and prohibit the enslavement of the brokers, or anyone who trades in subcomponent metals, when the endproduct metal is banned by a noble.  That is very frustrating.  What is also very frustrating is losing a good broker, to it, when CULLING is on.  Hows he dealing in contraband when culling filter is ON?  Thats what I wanna know.  Thanks.  Sorry for the highjack. 

Sincerely,
Knutor
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:13:29 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 03:16:11 pm »

when I first started playing, I made this mistake. I hadn't read the whole wiki page first. It could be helpful to people who are getting their first caravan.

Somewhat unrelated, I thought making import deals with  the liaison was giving me the goods I selected, instead of making the caravan bring more of that the next year. so maybe there could be something to clear that up, like "import agreements with XXXXX for next winter" on the top of the screen.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 05:55:04 pm »

But I don't understand why my embark choices are considered (foreign). 
They are produced in the mountainhome. As such, they are not produced in your fortress, and therefore foreign.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.