Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: the elder scrolls "bosmer"=Dwarf Fortress elves!!!  (Read 5857 times)

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
Re: the elder scrolls "bosmer"=Dwarf Fortress elves!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 01:22:03 am »

A thing I quite like about the Bosmer is they follow through to the logical end of their beliefs. As described in-game by Khajiit: "They live in the trees and eat nothing but meat."

edit: Think of all the leather bins these guys would bring for trade! I now believe Bosmer > DF elves.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:47:39 am by BigFatStupidHead »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 10:56:44 pm »

BY AZURA BY AZURA BY AZURA

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 12:49:25 am »

A thing I quite like about the Bosmer is they follow through to the logical end of their beliefs. As described in-game by Khajiit: "They live in the trees and eat nothing but meat."
Better than living in meat and eating nothing but trees :V

When I hear "DF" and "Elder Scrolls", the first thing that comes to my mind is the Dwemer. While they were biologically elves, they were truly dorfy in spirit.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 01:04:19 am »

When I hear "DF" and "Elder Scrolls", the first thing that comes to my mind is the Dwemer. While they were biologically elves, they were truly dorfy in spirit.

"Heyyy you know that ancient heart from that dead god we have laying around? What if... what if we started to, you know... poke it to see what it will do? I mean, what's the worst that could happen?"
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 01:21:09 am »

"Heyyy you know that ancient heart from that dead god we have laying around? What if... what if we started to, you know... poke it to see what it will do? I mean, what's the worst that could happen?"
Not so much poking as building into the center of their giant robot god in the depths of their metal encrusted, magma pitted underground fortress. It isn't quite flooding the world with magma, but it comes fairly close.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 06:32:11 am »

That was a reason players gave, I've never seen Toady give its version of why they did that. Feel free to prove me wrong.
I didn't think Toady had declared the reason yet either, but I can look. ... I couldn't find it in his forum posts, and Threetoe's stories go both ways (ethic and instinct), but in both dev-log and transcripts, he says he doesn't want to mess with the stock cultures that much; like he doesn't consider it that important compared to most other things. Although in light his other design decisions and tone, he is probably intentionally leaving it free for the players to imagine; making an interpretation cannon tends to cut down on other, possibly more interesting, interpretations.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 04:34:49 pm »

yep. i think automatana (?) should be added to df, among other dorfy things that the dwemer have. i was a dorf fort fan when i got morrowind not too long ago, and i was really dissapointed that i couldn't play as a dwarf.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 09:19:55 am »

...and i was really dissapointed that i couldn't play as a dwarf.

It is quite disappointing. Were it possible, my current Skyrim character would be a dwemer named Urist McAdventurer. Alas, it was not possible.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 01:49:51 am »

Though I do hear Skyrim has at least one Dwemer ruin.
Pages: 1 [2]