Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant cave spider related.  (Read 660 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Giant cave spider related.
« on: November 09, 2011, 03:45:38 pm »

On my first functioning fortress I had a moderately trained iron clad excellent attributed military and set them on training in the caverns.
What ho? a giant cave spider?
Have at you!
I sic the military on said spider and my rawest recruit arrives there first, bam leg cut to shreds, bam, gives into pain, the spider then noms on her head for twelve pages of iron helm deflecting fun before my militia commander arrives and chops the GCS's head off, the crippled soldier was relieved from duty and lived a regular life.
As a question how deadly should that spider have been, or are they relatively weak against armoured opponents? 

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Giant cave spider related.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:49:15 pm »

Many creatures aren't all that dangerous, they just score lucky hits. As you can see from the combat reports, the jaws of the spider weren't enough to penetrate your recruits armor, so it's likely he dodged the wrong way and smashed his leg against the wall instead.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:52:51 pm »

Many creatures aren't all that dangerous, they just score lucky hits. As you can see from the combat reports, the jaws of the spider weren't enough to penetrate your recruits armor, so it's likely he dodged the wrong way and smashed his leg against the wall instead.
or my armour production was.... uneven....

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:27:03 pm »

The danger, I mean fun of GCSs isn't in their impenetrable chitin or monstrous strenght, they no longer have those. They are dangerous because of their webs, and their toxin: if they catch your dwarves on a trap corridor, shoot web and some of it lands on the traps, much Fun can be had. And if any of their toxin gets into dwarven bloodstream, that Urist is dead in minutes.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tapeworm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:03:57 pm »

Giant Cave Spider Venom causes widespread paralysis, which will cause the afflicted dwarf to suffocate 90% of the time if the spider doesn't kill them first.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:37:11 am »

My first encounter with one recently ended with one off-duty marksdwarf (wearing a masterwork steel helm, but otherwise unarmored) losing the use of a leg due to the GCS's powerful wrestling (passed out, saved by the helm), another civilian "recovering wounded" being injected in the head and dying, and no injuries to the military when they got there and cleaned up.

My conclusion was they're very dangerous to civilians, not often dangerous to a full squad of armored military with melee weapons.

I'm not sure about lone warriors yet...the webs can disable a lone warrior, but if the GCS always goes for the head when a dwarf is disabled, and it's always blocked by the helm, then it may not matter so much. If it grabs a limb and shakes , on off the other hand...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 11:10:15 am »

The head isn't always protected by the helm though.

The face should be wide open... but I guess attacks to the face aren't lethal so the spider keeps trying to gnaw its way into the brain?

brb arena.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Made a few tests.
  Conclusion: GCS seem to prefer to attack unarmored vital organs, if none are available, however, they will try in vain to attack the most vital organ: the brain.
  While reading on the wiki I think I understand why the face isn't attacked. Because the facial features are a "child" feature of the face, which is why helmets don't cover them. However the iron mail shirt has the ability to shield both throat and facial features, even if that doesn't make any sense... it's the way cloth "abilities" are programmed but anyway:
  The face isn't actually part of the head. So if a spider tries to attack the HEAD then it cannot hit the face. Even though the helmet doesn't cover it. How odd is that?

Anyway the spiders appear completely harmless if you have iron armor around.

edit: i did a few more tests with dwarves attacking eachother while wearing massive armor .. except mail shirts. apparently they are able to punch out eachothers teeth, bite eachothers ears and attack the eyes.. through the helmets.
 i miss the days when a dwarf could be stabbed in the eye AND the brain in one blow.
 final edit: i checked to see if it's possible to inject poison in a dwarfs' lip, eye, nose, ears and teeth. the nose, teeth and ears were torn off but the rest served to inject him with deadly amounts of venom. So cloaks, hoods, mail shirts, robes, capes ... anything that can get between a dwarven face (located on his throat) and the spider is good to have on hand if you must deal with them.
 I am going to put the mutilated shell of a dwarf out of his misery now. Hope my semi-on-topic rambling helped you in some way.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:18:52 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.