Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goddamn Military  (Read 801 times)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Goddamn Military
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:24:19 am »

Alright so i have a hammerlord, his uniform specifies a hammer and an individual melee weapon of choice. The guy has only one weapon, a sun gold crossbow. He is blitzing through these war elephant warriors crushing skulls and shattering large sections of body by "Bayoneting" heads and extremities. While i admire his dedication to the art of beating things up, why the hell is he using a crossbow as a hammer in an all melee squad? That was rhetorical. The answer if of course he was dropped on his head as a child.

[spoiler]

Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goddamn Military
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:33:23 am »

He may have gotten attached. Get another hammerlord and make sure he gets a good hammer before he starts using it so he'll stick to it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:36:36 am »

At least that guy appears to be hammering things with his crossbow of choice ...

:D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 10:44:01 am »

Hammer and a weapon of his choice? Do you have a shield assigned to him? Although having two weapons assigned should work - I can think of two reasons why that might not happen:

1. Although I think crossbows only require one hand, something in the code might not allow the guy to wield a crossbow and another weapon for some reason - in adventurer there's some weird stuff that happens with crossbows, hands, and items. If the soldier likes the crossbow, grabs it, he might not have another hand to grab a war hammer.

2. Attachment.

3. I think crossbows butt-bash attacks actually use the hammerdwarf skill - so the guy might have grabbed the heaviest hammer he could find - the butt of a sun gold crossbow - and then didn't have an extra hand to wield the hammer you assigned.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:59:20 am »

3. I think crossbows butt-bash attacks actually use the hammerdwarf skill - so the guy might have grabbed the heaviest hammer he could find - the butt of a sun gold crossbow - and then didn't have an extra hand to wield the hammer you assigned.

Yep, they do. My guess is his individual weapon of choice is the crossbow for whatever reason, and he doesn't have any bolts. Or if he does have bolts, he's using his weapon of choice (by Fatboy Slim) as the hammer weapon, since the blunt attacks of a crossbow count as a hammer weapon. Remove the individual weapon of choice and see what that does.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.